Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#99464 by nikkilynn
Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:58 am
I've just set up my Ooma Telo (modem-ooma-router configuration), and while it connect to the internet, it can't seem to connect to the Ooma network. The logo in the center is flashing red, and when I pick up the connected phone, I hear a busy signal.

On the back of the Ooma, the green light next to the "To Internet" port is solid, and the orange one blinks quickly. The green light next to the "Home Network" port is solid, and the orange one blinks slowly.

I've tried rebooting my modem, router, the ooma, and even my computer, and nothing has made a difference. Any suggestions?
#99465 by thunderbird
Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 am
nikkilynn wrote:I've just set up my Ooma Telo (modem-ooma-router configuration), and while it connect to the internet, it can't seem to connect to the Ooma network. The logo in the center is flashing red, and when I pick up the connected phone, I hear a busy signal.

On the back of the Ooma, the green light next to the "To Internet" port is solid, and the orange one blinks quickly. The green light next to the "Home Network" port is solid, and the orange one blinks slowly.

I've tried rebooting my modem, router, the ooma, and even my computer, and nothing has made a difference. Any suggestions?

First Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo, and Router.
The repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Router.

Also it take about an hour to download and update the Ooma Telo Firmware before you can use the Ooma Telo.

And you did Activate your Ooma account?
#99469 by nikkilynn
Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 am
thunderbird wrote:First Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo, and Router.
The repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Router.

Also it take about an hour to download and update the Ooma Telo Firmware before you can use the Ooma Telo.

And you did Activate your Ooma account?

I've done all of that, and now the logo is blinking red, and the 1,2, and fast forward lights are on solid blue.

Yes, my Ooma account is activated. I went through the account activation process before powering up the unit, as described in the Quick start guide.

I'll let it sit awhile, and see if it's just a matter of downloading firmware.
#99475 by thunderbird
Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:13 pm
nikkilynn wrote:No change. It's still not connecting.

Make sure you aren't confusing the phone cord for a network cable.

First: Try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma. Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo and Router.
Reconnect Modem-Router-Ooma. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

Next:
For a Modem-Ooma-Router connection:
With the Modem, Router, and Ooma Telo booted as far as it will boot (to the red flashing symbol); access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in you computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open.

Click on the Status tab at the lower left side.

Under Network, to the right of TO INTERNET port: can you see the word Connected and an IP address?

Under Network, to the right of OOMA Tunnel: can you see the word connected?

If you don't see the word Connected and an IP address to the right of To INTERNET port:, the Ooma Telo isn't "seeing" the Internet. If this is the case, do you have DSL and need a name and password to sign-in to the Internet. If so in Ooma Setup click on the Internet Tab. Following Connection type: click on the down arrow and select PPPoE. Following PPPoE Options: Fill in the Name and Password. At the bottom of the page click on the Update Device button. Then reboot everything as instructed in my pervious post or Modem first, then Ooma Telo, then Router for a Modem-Ooma-Router connection.

If you see the word Connected and an IP address to the right of To INTERNET port:, but the Ooma Tunnel doesn't show Connected, you have to contact Ooma Customer Support for a "Kick Start" on their end:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#99849 by nikkilynn
Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:48 pm
As it turns out, it was completely my own fault. I hadn't realized that my modem had two phone ports (for two phone lines). Had the Ooma plugged into line 2 when it needed to be in line 1. Now that I have it hooked up correctly, it's working great. :)

Thanks for the help!
#99854 by lbmofo
Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 pm
Did you choose to use your own number (ie Cable company phone number) when you activated your Ooma?

You'd need to continue paying for cable phone service when you don't need to. Port your number over to Ooma and you can get rid of your cable phone bill.