Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#99157 by raber34
Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:49 am
I am using a Actiontec MegaPlug 200 Mbps AV Powerline Ethernet Adapter and 4-Port Hub Kit. I have my router plugged into that, speed is usually around 10Mbps. Since I got the Telo, it is down to about 1Mbps. I originally had the Telo hooked up to the router, just a standard Netgear. The Ooma works fine, but is killing my speed. I have changed the settings to "Use built in," changed the upstream and downstream numbers to match .9 of the speed on speedtest, changed the speeds to 0, nothing seems to help. Could it be the Actiontec Megaplug that is causing the problem? I tried hooking the Telo up directly to the Megaplug as well, same result. I think I have cycled my routers and modems about 50 times in the last 2 days. Does anyone have any advice? Let me know if I should provide more info. Thanks!
#99158 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:33 am
The computer you are doing speed test with, what is it plugged into?
Is Telo plugged into router?
Is anything plugged into the home network port of Telo?
Is the powerline ethernet adapter plugged into the router or modem?
#99159 by raber34
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 am
The computer is connected to the Netgear router via Wifi.
The Telo is plugged into the Netgear router.
Nothing plugged into the home network port (though I have tried that to no avail).
Powerline adapter is plugged into the modem, and then the router is plugged into the Powerline adapter.
#99160 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:43 am
Got you. Do speed test with hardwired connection to the router. With and without Telo powered up. Result should be the same. If Internet slow, could be the powerline adapter.

I recommend doing trials of your setup, speedtest with hard wire and once satisfactory, introduce Telo in the setup picture. The Telo should not slow down anything (if home network port is not being used; when Telo is not first in line after modem).

As for wifi connections, if you get slower results compared to hard wired, try to turn off channel bonding and different channel setting other than "auto." viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13736&start=10#p95659
#99168 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:42 pm
raber34 wrote:The computer is connected to the Netgear router via Wifi.
The Telo is plugged into the Netgear router.
Nothing plugged into the home network port (though I have tried that to no avail).
Powerline adapter is plugged into the modem, and then the router is plugged into the Powerline adapter.

Tempoarily connect directly with network cables, taking the Actiontec MegaPlug 200 Mbps AV Powerline Ethernet Adapter out of the picture, to see if that is causing the problem.
#99173 by raber34
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:16 pm
It was the Powerline. My speed is now twice as fast as it was before the Ooma. Glad I wasted $90 on the stupid Powerline. Thanks guys, I'm all set now...
#99174 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:56 pm
raber34, the powerline adapter depends on how clean your power circuitry is but I found the D-Link DHP-303 to work very well compared to other brand I tried. I originally had 4 of these DHP-303. 1 master and 3 slaves; all the slaves pumped out my ISP internet speed without a problem (no loss in speed compared to wifi); however, I have 1 room in my house where the slave didn't work very well but the rest of house was fine. Check out D-Link DHP-303 if you have a chance ~$55 a pair. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13450&start=20#p97898