ooma and lightning protection help

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo

Re: ooma and lightning protection help

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Could be the power adapter. $20 from Ooma.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

roxit1

Post by roxit1 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:16 pm

There is power. Like the original post from this thread, it has non-stop flashing red light. Power is not the issue. It just won't go blue light. Also the internet port has no green light with orange/amber light flashing. Since other people have the same problem, there is obvious quality issue. I think I will try a new surge outlet Plus a separate surge protector for the network cable. However, that may cost me $40-$50 more to protect the machine.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:43 am

Surge protectors are a waste of money unless you install a professional whole-house unit at your circuit breaker panel. They may help if you have" dirty" power that fluctuates a lot, but they are pretty much useless against a lightning strike which can actually blow the receptacle out of the wall!

Whenever severe lightning is in my area, all expensive electronic devices get unplugged from their wall sockets. I also disconnect the phone line from my internet gateway. This is the only 100% guaranteed solution to protecting your equipment. Plus, I never miss any phone calls because I always have Ooma set to forward calls to my cellphone when my Telo is offline.