Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#98986 by newomij
Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 pm
Just bought a new high end router but not high end enough? It has no phone ports. Will connecting the Ooma base to the router via the USB connections accomplish anything? Or, do I need to get a router with the phone ports?
#98987 by lbmofo
Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:25 am
A router should have a WAN port (to connect to a modem) and a few LAN ports (to connect internet devices to).

You connect Ooma's "to internet" port to one of the LAN ports on the router using an ethernet cable.
#99015 by newomij
Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:28 pm
Ok. I'm feeling pretty foolish now. I have an older Lynksis that has the ethernet ports described above plus two phone ports (jacks). I have had a phone line (cord) running from the Ooma main unit to a duplex phone jack in the wall. I have also had another phone cord running from that same duplex jack in the wall to the phone port in the back of the router. I have had this system set like this for years. I just unplugged the phone cord from the router and to my surprise, I still have a dial tone. Can anyone offer an explanation of why I might have had it set up this way?

So, the router doesn't need to have the phone port?

Will this Ooma system operate correctly on the newer gigabit wireless N routers?
#99020 by murphy
Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:36 am
The Linksys was probably used with Vonage or some other VOIP provider to provide telephone service.
It is the same type of device as the Telo.
It should have been removed from your system when Vonage was discontinued.
It has few of the capabilities of a standard router.

Standard routers do not have phone ports.

eMTAs (which are cable modems) provided by Comcast or other cable companies have phone ports for their proprietary phone service.

My Telo is connected to my gigabit router.
It runs at 100 mbps since the Telo doesn't support gigabit connections.
#99048 by newomij
Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:52 pm

You confused me here. The above statement says your Telo is connected to a gigabit router and in the next sentence lies the claim that the Telo doesn't support gigabit connections.

Assuming that I am just not reading between the lines correctly and I really can connect a Telo to a gigabit router, and assuming that I have the new 300 mbps router, will the Telo just use the 100 mbps that it is limited to or will the Telo just not work at all because the router in configured higher than the maximum 100 mbps?

Is there a list of compatible routers somewhere at ooma.com?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. I have been pleasantly surprised at the speed at which the answers come back.
#99049 by roadshow
Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:10 pm
Telo will use 100mbps, even if connected to a gigabit router. I have a Belkin gigabit router connected to my OOMA Hub. No problems. My Roadrunner Internet connection is the bottleneck, it only does about 10mbps and I don't have a home network, so there is no need for gigabit speed for me.
#99053 by thunderbird
Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:38 am
newomij wrote:

You confused me here. The above statement says your Telo is connected to a gigabit router and in the next sentence lies the claim that the Telo doesn't support gigabit connections.

Assuming that I am just not reading between the lines correctly and I really can connect a Telo to a gigabit router, and assuming that I have the new 300 mbps router, will the Telo just use the 100 mbps that it is limited to or will the Telo just not work at all because the router in configured higher than the maximum 100 mbps?

Is there a list of compatible routers somewhere at ooma.com?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. I have been pleasantly surprised at the speed at which the answers come back.

Ooma devices are compatable and will support gigabit routers, but only at 100 mbps maximum speeds.
#99078 by WJBertrand
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 pm
So this raises a question for me. If I have my Telo connected modem -> Telo -> router, does Telo then limit gigabyte communication between my devices? I'm thinking no, because all of those devices are communicating on my network downstream from the Telo?
#99079 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:51 pm
WJBertrand wrote:So this raises a question for me. If I have my Telo connected modem -> Telo -> router, does Telo then limit gigabyte communication between my devices? I'm thinking no, because all of those devices are communicating on my network downstream from the Telo?

Correct.