Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#98103 by michaelb
Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:36 pm
Hello Ooma Forum,

I am running into issues on how to open up the service ports for Ooma using the new Apple Airport Utility.

This page: http://www.ooma.com/app/support/advanced-connections-and-service-ports#anchor-0 shows that UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 110, TCP 53 and TCP 443 ports need to be open for outbound data and voice traffic, but what do I put for the rest of the fields listed in the "port mapping" area?

Also, do you have to create an individual instruction per each UDP/TCP number?

Please help.

A view of the field to edit port settings from the new Apple Airport Utility:
#98105 by murphy
Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:44 pm
It is highly unlikely that your router has an outgoing firewall.
That feature usually only exists in expensive commercial routers designed for businesses to lock down the internet access from their employees.
No inbound port mapping is needed.
#98107 by michaelb
Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:56 pm
murphy wrote:It is highly unlikely that your router has an outgoing firewall.
That feature usually only exists in expensive commercial routers designed for businesses to lock down the internet access from their employees.
No inbound port mapping is needed.

Thank you so much for your help, murphy.

I am just trying to open ports so that I can get a more stable VOIP service. I am using the wireless adapter with the unit and keep getting echoing/machine-like voice and dropped calls. I am forced to use the wireless adapter because of the confined space and with how my home is set-up.

If absolutely necessary I will try to re-arrange things to put the Ooma before the router, but would like to make that a last ditch attempt at rectifying the issue.

Signal strength is 100% and am testing 19 Mbps down, 7.51 Mbps up via Speedtest.net.
#98114 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:12 am
michaelb wrote:I am just trying to open ports so that I can get a more stable VOIP service. I am using the wireless adapter with the unit and keep getting echoing/machine-like voice and dropped calls. I am forced to use the wireless adapter because of the confined space and with how my home is set-up.

Echoing/machine-like voice and dropped calls may be caused by your Modem or interruptions in your Internet service.

First:
Temporarily connect your Ooma Telo directly to the Modem with a network cable, then test making/receiving test calls, to see if there is improvement.

If there is no improvement:
Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure. If so, do a reset/reboot per the Modem owner's manual. Note: some modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed while doing a reset or reboot to have a successful reset/reboot.
If the reset reboot doesn't work, try another modem. If that doesn't work, contact your Internet provider and advise them of your problem.

Also do the following:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________