Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97969 by tbeltz
Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:12 am
Is the network cable supplied by Ooma different that any other network cable other than being FLAT? I did not use it in my setup and was never able to get the unit to come up going from Modem to Ooma to Router?? In reviewing the Trouble shooting guide it says "The led at the top of the connector should be lit green"?? Does their cable have a built-in LED light in the network cable? Could my not using their cable for the one connection from the Modem to the Ooma port be my problem. I had no trouble when I ran it from a router port (using my own Cable) to the Ooma, it came up and is working fine. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
#97974 by Cyberchat
Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:48 am
All of the network cables you use should be CAT-5e or better which means they will be made up of twisted pairs of wires and shielded. Discard the flat network cable which came with the OOMA Telo and don't use it elsewhere in your network.

Network cables which aren't CAT-5e or better can act like antennas picking up a lot of signals and introducing them into your network communications causing errors, corrupted packests, retransmissions, ..., all of which cause quality problems with your VOIP system.
#97976 by thunderbird
Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 am
tbeltz wrote:Is the network cable supplied by Ooma different that any other network cable other than being FLAT? I did not use it in my setup and was never able to get the unit to come up going from Modem to Ooma to Router?? In reviewing the Trouble shooting guide it says "The led at the top of the connector should be lit green"?? Does their cable have a built-in LED light in the network cable? Could my not using their cable for the one connection from the Modem to the Ooma port be my problem. I had no trouble when I ran it from a router port (using my own Cable) to the Ooma, it came up and is working fine. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

The Green light that Ooma is talking about is located at the back of the Ooma Telo, at the Internet port. There are two light at the Internet port, and two light at the Home port. One usually is flashing and the other is usually solidly lit. The colors of the lights may very.