Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97948 by sinoue
Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:24 pm
I was going to look at getting a Bluetooth adapter for my Ooma but I read in another post that you have to add *15 to all bluetooth calls and that there is no way to speed dial folks or auto add *15 to BT connected devices.

I read in one of your blogs that you use BlueZ open source bluetooth adapters, but I was surprised that ooma is hardcoding the BT adapter to just your own OEM BT adapter. Any chance of getting a preference setting to allow folks to map thru any BlueZ compatible BT adapter? I know Ooma would like to make the $29 for the adapter, but it seems crazy for a company committed to lowering costs for its customers to nickel and dime them for adapters (BT, WifI, Mobile apps, etc.).

Anything Ooma can do to reduce costs and disrupt phone technology with Ooma innovations is a good thing! Nickel and diming for incremental revenue stalls adoption and disrupts the low cost message. Lose the movie theater buttered popcorn subsidizes expensive tickets model and do a Netflix one price get everything model. Getting increased users interacting daily with Ooma technology is the key to long term viability,.
#97952 by sinoue
Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 pm
I can agree that Ooma may want to control support costs, but adding a preference for letting users add unsupported hardware seems like a good balance. Ooma can always tell users to use official hardware if the user runs into issues, but seriously BT and WiFi drivers for OpenSource code already have a large list of supported devices so this is a bit silly - imagine if your car's bluetooth told you to change your cell phone to only BMW branded phones...
#97953 by lbmofo
Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 pm
sinoue wrote:Ooma can always tell users to use official hardware if the user runs into issues

Already one call too many to the call center.

sinoue wrote:imagine if your car's bluetooth told you to change your cell phone to only BMW branded phones...

Ooma's bluetooth adapter is like what's already built into BMW. You can't plug in your own parts to make it work unless completely separate system (much like you can get a DECT 6 system with bluetooth).