Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97795 by Mlindblad
Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:57 am
I am just starting to use my ooma for the first time and I called my number from my cell phone and it went though just fine but now I have a busy signal on my landline.....why is that????
#97796 by highq
Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:07 am
Without a mimimal discussion of what is connected to what, it's hard to answer you.

What has your landline to do with Ooma, for example?
#97799 by highq
Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:03 am
Mlindblad wrote:I have the ooma connected to my wall phone, so when I go to make a call it's giving me a busy signal. I don't have a cordless phone.

It really doesn't cost you anything extra to be explicit.

I know what a phone is, and I know what a wall is, but: what is a "wall phone"?

Exactly which ports or jacks are connected to which other pote or jacks?
#97805 by lbmofo
Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:30 am
Mlindblad wrote:I have the ooma connected to my wall phone, so when I go to make a call it's giving me a busy signal. I don't have a cordless phone.

Like highq says, you'd need to provide more info.

Just in case you are talking about plugging a phone directly into the Telo's "phone" port and when dialing out, you get busy signal....

Perhaps, you are trying to dial a number with same area code as your Ooma number with area code (trying to dial 10 digits)? You'd get a busy signal in that case. Dial only 7 digits if same area code.

If you are used to dialing 10 digits (just how you would on a cell phone), enable your Ooma's 10 digit dialing.

Go to: https://my.ooma.com/system

Check Enable 10-digit dialing and "Save"

10-digit dialing lets you make long-distance calls without dialing the initial 1, just like on your cell phone.

This can introduce a short delay if you dial 7 digits for local calls. Press # after you dial to put the call through immediately.
#97810 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:54 pm
Mlindblad wrote:I am just starting to use my ooma for the first time and I called my number from my cell phone and it went though just fine but now I have a busy signal on my landline.....why is that????

If you have your Ooma Telo connected to your home's phone wiring, you also have to disconnect the old phone service wiring, that is coming in from the street, at the phone receptacle box at the outside of your home.

Otherwise you will have problems as you described.

You can test this by just connecting your wall phone directly to the Ooma Telo Phone port, excluding any connection to your home's phone wiring. If there is a Wall phone port on your Ooma Telo, don't use it. Use only the Phone port.