Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97719 by chasn702
Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 pm
Hello,

I've contacted support, but they've been unable to help me. I recently setup my Ooma Telo for the first time, and it's not working when plugged into my Cat5 wall jack. My house is wired with ethernet cable, and the wire that plugs into this jack is connected to my router. I've verified that the jack is working by plugging in 3 different laptops - all of them accessed the internet without problems when connected to this jack.

The strange thing is that when I plug the Ooma Telo directly into the router, rather than plugging into the wall jack that connects to the router, it works fine.

Why would putting a wall jack and 20-odd feet of cable between the router and the Ooma Telo create a problem? The cable has been proven to not be defective, as has the jack.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you!
#97721 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 am
chasn702 wrote:Hello,

I've contacted support, but they've been unable to help me. I recently setup my Ooma Telo for the first time, and it's not working when plugged into my Cat5 wall jack. My house is wired with ethernet cable, and the wire that plugs into this jack is connected to my router. I've verified that the jack is working by plugging in 3 different laptops - all of them accessed the internet without problems when connected to this jack.

The strange thing is that when I plug the Ooma Telo directly into the router, rather than plugging into the wall jack that connects to the router, it works fine.

Why would putting a wall jack and 20-odd feet of cable between the router and the Ooma Telo create a problem? The cable has been proven to not be defective, as has the jack.

Thank you!

Try using a different Network cable from the Home's Wall port to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo.

(Note: If you have a Wall port on your Ooma Telo, don't use it. Use only the Internet port)

If that doesn't work, obtain a Network Cross-over cable and try that cable.
#97741 by chasn702
Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:18 am
lbmofo wrote:What is the source of the Internet? Do you have a cable modem somewhere feeding it?
You try power cycling the source if your Internet?

I have a cable modem. I have a wireless router connected to the cable modem. The wireless router is connected to the cable that runs into the wall. The cable comes out of the wall in another room, where it connects to the wall jack. That wall jack is where I'm plugging the Ooma into.

I didn't try cycling the cable modem because I was thinking that since the Ooma works fine when plugged directly into the router (not using the pre-wired wall jack), then the problem isn't with the cable modem. But I'll give cycling the power on it a try.

Thanks!
Last edited by chasn702 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
#97742 by chasn702
Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am
thunderbird wrote:
chasn702 wrote:Hello,

Thank you!

Try using a different Network cable from the Home's Wall port to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo.

(Note: If you have a Wall port on your Ooma Telo, don't use it. Use only the Internet port)

If that doesn't work, obtain a Network Cross-over cable and try that cable.

I've tried using both the cable that came with the Ooma Telo, and another Cat5e cable. Neither of these cables are defective as they both work when plugged into a laptop. I'll have to see if I have a network cross-over cable. Thanks