Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97470 by glen
Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 pm
I just picked up a new Ooma Telo from BestBuy yesterday. I have been trying all day to set it up. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck. When I turn on my Telo the top row of lights, the numbers 1 & 2 and sometimes the trashcan and envelope light up blue, while the Ooma logo blinks red continuously. I have never gotten a white, purple or blue Ooma logo. Here's my setup:

Phone --> Ooma Telo --> At&t modem/router combo (2701HG-B)

At this point I am just trying to get a dial tone. What confuses me the most is the fact that the Quick Start guide claims that updating the Ooma Telo firmware should take from 5-10 minutes (on the initial boot). I also found, on the Ooma website, another estimate that said that it could take up to 30 minutes. This morning I started off by activating my account (and also received a new number) before turning on or even hooking up the Telo. After that, I simply connected our existing phone with a phone line directly into the phone jack on the back of the Telo. Then I plugged the ethernet cable into the back of the router/modem and then into the back of the Telo where it says "To Internet." When I booted up the Telo all I got was the blinking red logo. Thinking the device was updating, I left it alone for nearly 1 hour, at which point I ran out of patience and pulled the power cord. I have rebooted both the Telo and the router/modem and also reset the router/modem but to no avail. When I check the Ooma setup page it says:

Internet: Connected
Ooma Network: Not connected - Attempting to connect to the Ooma network
Device Settings: Waiting for configuration
WALL Port: No landline detected

Network

TO INTERNET port: Connected: [ 192.168.1.64 ]
HOME NETWORK port: Connected: [ 172.27.35.1 ]
OOMA Tunnel: Disconnected
Applications:

Telephony: 934 - Running
DNS: 536 - Running
Webserver: 603 - Running
VPN: Status unavailable !
Free Memory: 195048
Ooma Services:

Instant Second Line™: Active
Voicemail: Active
Do Not Disturb and Send-to-Voicemail: Inactive
Three-Way Conferencing: Inactive
Google Voice Extensions: Inactive
Enhanced Inbound Caller-ID: Active

I am also curious if someone could please tell me what the version number at the top right-hand corner of the Telo setup page is? Mine reads Version: 49243. I've seen some other forum posts where users are in the 50000's. Does this number indicate that the Telo device never completely updated--and I'd like to know what the latest version is?

Anyway, if someone might be able to offer some suggestions for getting the Telo up and running I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
#97471 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:08 pm
glen wrote:I just picked up a new Ooma Telo from BestBuy yesterday. I have been trying all day to set it up. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck. When I turn on my Telo the top row of lights, the numbers 1 & 2 and sometimes the trashcan and envelope light up blue, while the Ooma logo blinks red continuously. I have never gotten a white, purple or blue Ooma logo. Here's my setup:

Phone --> Ooma Telo --> At&t modem/router combo (2701HG-B)

At this point I am just trying to get a dial tone. What confuses me the most is the fact that the Quick Start guide claims that updating the Ooma Telo firmware should take from 5-10 minutes (on the initial boot). I also found, on the Ooma website, another estimate that said that it could take up to 30 minutes. This morning I started off by activating my account (and also received a new number) before turning on or even hooking up the Telo. After that, I simply connected our existing phone with a phone line directly into the phone jack on the back of the Telo. Then I plugged the ethernet cable into the back of the router/modem and then into the back of the Telo where it says "To Internet." When I booted up the Telo all I got was the blinking red logo. Thinking the device was updating, I left it alone for nearly 1 hour, at which point I ran out of patience and pulled the power cord. I have rebooted both the Telo and the router/modem and also reset the router/modem but to no avail. When I check the Ooma setup page it says:

Internet: Connected
Ooma Network: Not connected - Attempting to connect to the Ooma network
Device Settings: Waiting for configuration
WALL Port: No landline detected

Network

TO INTERNET port: Connected: [ 192.168.1.64 ]
HOME NETWORK port: Connected: [ 172.27.35.1 ]
OOMA Tunnel: Disconnected
Applications:

Telephony: 934 - Running
DNS: 536 - Running
Webserver: 603 - Running
VPN: Status unavailable !
Free Memory: 195048
Ooma Services:

Instant Second Line™: Active
Voicemail: Active
Do Not Disturb and Send-to-Voicemail: Inactive
Three-Way Conferencing: Inactive
Google Voice Extensions: Inactive
Enhanced Inbound Caller-ID: Active

I am also curious if someone could please tell me what the version number at the top right-hand corner of the Telo setup page is? Mine reads Version: 49243. I've seen some other forum posts where users are in the 50000's. Does this number indicate that the Telo device never completely updated--and I'd like to know what the latest version is?

Anyway, if someone might be able to offer some suggestions for getting the Telo up and running I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Because the Internet port is showing connected, but the Ooma Tunnel shows disconnected, the problem is on the Ooma Servers side. You have to call Ooma Customer Support and tell them that you need a "kick start".

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#97472 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:11 pm
Or try to connect Ooma to a different LAN port of your modem/router unit and see.
#97477 by glen
Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:33 pm
Ok, I'll have to contact customer support tomorrow morning. As for switching the cable on different ports, I tried, but it didn't change anything. One thing is strange. I can connect my MacBook Pro through an ethernet cable directly to the Ooma Telo and then turn off my wifi antennae and I still have internet! After reading the following page: http://www.ooma.com/app/support/advanced-connections-and-service-ports I'm thinking the problem is my router/modem's firewall. After all when I connect to the internet through the Ooma Telo on my laptop I have no problems. Why then, can the Ooma Telo not connect? Then again, the Telo does say that it is connected to the internet--just not to the Ooma network. Okay, I'll post tomorrow after I call customer support and see if they can resolve this.
#97483 by glen
Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:45 am
@thunderbird

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

You might want to update your Ooma support phone #. I just tried it this morning and it looks like that was their old number because I was told that I won a complimentary cruise and only had to pay $60 per person. I might just try it out :D

FYI: Their new number is 1-866-493-6662. That successfully connects you to the Ooma support center.

I'll be posting back soon to see what they say about "jump starting" my account. I forgot that their support center is within the Pacific time zone so it'll be another hour before I can call.
#97487 by glen
Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:35 am
glen wrote:Well--that's weird.

Nevermind--I read the number wrong. I used 6622 but it should've been 6662. Sorry--and silly me :?
#97566 by glen
Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:33 am
Just to follow-up on my initial post. I returned my Ooma Telo to Best Buy and exchanged it for a new one. I called customer support and asked them to transfer my account info to the new device. They asked for the new device's MAC address and then said to wait for 15 minutes before plugging in the new Ooma. An hour later I plugged in the Ooma and waited...the red light logo turned on and began to blink--but this time for only a few minutes. After that all the lights went off (it must have rebooted) and when it turned on again I got all blue lights! Yes! So it wasn't my gateway after all. If you have a similar problem as mine you might consider exchanging the device for a new one. I do have some delay issues that I'd like to remedy but I'll start a new post in the right forum.