Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97048 by jer989
Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:07 am
HI all-

My current setup is Modem-Wireless Router-Ooma Telo. The modem is a (relatively new) - Scientific Atlanta/2203C, and the wireless router is a Netgear N600 (WNDR3400V2) - also relatively new. I just bought my Telo about 2 weeks ago and have been trying it out to make sure everything works ok before I port my home # to Ooma. Up until now I have had (and still do have) Time Warner digital phone (originating at the SA/2203C modem) which goes into a phone jack into our regular home phone wiring (which has and still does consist of one older cordless phone - probable not DECT 6.0, one cordless phone set that is DECT 6.0, and two corded phones which are rarely used).

Using the Time warner digital phone I've never had any problems with using the phone and losing our wireless internet connection (while using a laptop for example). But with the telo hooked up behind the router, everything works fine normally - that is when I'm not using the phone via Ooma, both the wireless internet connection and the 2 PC's that are plugged directly into the back all have an internet connection. When I do make a call on the DECT cordless phone though the wireles internet connections apparently drops. The wired internet connection to the PC's is still ok though.

I have tried changing the wireless channel on the router to see if that helped, it didn't. I did connect directly to the Telo and set it to use the built-in MAC address - that didn't help either. I have not tried changing my setup to Modem-Ooma-Router yet. I also still can try to see if I lose my wireless connection when I use a wired phone.

But I thought I'd put it out there before trying those things. Anyone have a similar problem and know what's happening. Is it maybe an IP address thing (would it help if I went into my router and assigned the Telo a static IP address?) Is it a MAC address thing? It doesn't seem like it'd be the cordless phones interfering with wireless as like I said above, I've had no such problems using the same phones with my wireless router before Ooma.

Thanks for any advice!
#97088 by jer989
Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 pm
More info. - I tried this last night and made phone calls from both wired and cordless phones and I couldn't get the wireless connection to drop!

Now my wife tells me today (while I was on the home phone with her) - that the wireless is suddenly dropped again! So for whatever reason this is intermittent.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
#97107 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 pm
jer989:
Make sure that all electrical and electronic devices are positioned at least 3 to four feet away from the Ooma Telo. Then test.

Sometimes if your are using an older, pre DECT 6, Cordless phone system in your home, that will cause frequency conflicts and problems.

If you are using and an older Cordless phone system in your home, weather it is connect to the Ooma, or another phone provider's system, remove power from the Cordless phone system(s) in your home, then test.

Again remove power from all cordless phone sytem(s) in your home.
#97114 by jer989
Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:17 am
Thanks so much for your suggestion. My one older cordless phone/base do sit right next to the Telo - mind you that particualr phone was not in use when the wireless dropped out - so I have to imagine that there was no RF from/to it that would interfere with the Telo, but I'll give it a go. My telo sits right next to the wireless router and modem - so I can try to move the telo farther away from those two things, and disconnect the older cordless phone altogether and see if that helps things.

I'lll also try to unpower the DECT 6.0 phones when this problem occurs again and see if making a call on a corded phone causes my wireless to drop.

Thanks!
#97122 by big al
Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:47 pm
When I first got my Telo I Had sitting next to the modem and router. I had no problem with internet but had trouble with
dropped calls an loss of duplex. when I moved the Telo several feet from the modem and router all my call problems
went away and I have had several months of problem free service.