Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#96765 by BobF
Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:54 am
Hi, I've got a typical setup. DSL modem to Linksys router running dd-wrt with WDS, then ooma as well as other computers and linksys' plugged in there.
I'm trying to improve my call quality by setting up some Qos rules on the dd-wrt router. So far I haven't gotten the configuration right.

I'm also thinking about buying new routers for dual band wireless, etc.

First question - can anyone assist with the dd-wrt Qos settings?

Second question - Since I might be starting out from scratch, any suggestions on new router hardware that works well with the ooma behind it, and Qos to assure the ooma bandwidth?

Third question - Would anyone suggest running the ooma as the gateway between the DSL modem and the internal house routers? If so, how to I statically configure the ooma addresses, since my current DSL modem isn't providing DHCP. The DHCP is coming from the dd-wrt router, which would be on the inside network to the ooma.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bob
#96769 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm
BobF wrote:Hi, I've got a typical setup. DSL modem to Linksys router running dd-wrt with WDS, then ooma as well as other computers and linksys' plugged in there.
I'm trying to improve my call quality by setting up some Qos rules on the dd-wrt router. So far I haven't gotten the configuration right.

I'm also thinking about buying new routers for dual band wireless, etc.

First question - can anyone assist with the dd-wrt Qos settings?

Second question - Since I might be starting out from scratch, any suggestions on new router hardware that works well with the ooma behind it, and Qos to assure the ooma bandwidth?

I'd purchase a Gigabit Router, not because you need the extra speed for your LAN, but because it will a later design.

I'm sure others will have some suggestions also.
BobF wrote:Third question - Would anyone suggest running the ooma as the gateway between the DSL modem and the internal house routers? If so, how to I statically configure the ooma addresses, since my current DSL modem isn't providing DHCP. The DHCP is coming from the dd-wrt router, which would be on the inside network to the ooma.
Thanks for any suggestions,

Bob

I like the Modem-Router-Ooma connection best.

But if you decide to use the Modem-Ooma-Router connection, you can set the Quality of Service in the Ooma device.

If you are using DSL with PPPoE, you would probably have to go into Ooma Setup, under Internet connections and select PPPoE, then enter the Name and Password.