Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#96731 by jstahl
Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:53 pm
While I am waiting for my number to be ported, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure I am able to properly disconnect my landline but I am having some difficulty. I've read on various threads, that it is as simple as disconnecting the conventional phone "clips" from inside the box (the three gray wires shown below in the lower, right hand side of the box). I have disconnected all three but still continue to receive a dial tone on my phone (I am still connected to my landline). I wonder if anyone might be able to provide some advice on what I need to do to properly disconnect once I switch over to Ooma? Do I need to physically disconnect some of the wires directly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (164.89 KiB) Viewed 9025 times
#96733 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:36 pm
I think the thick black whire bunch in the middle is coming from the phone company and the 2 beige wire bunches on the lower right is going into your house. I can see your line 1 (2 blue connected to 1 green and 2 white-blue connected to 1 white-green wire through two 3-wire butt connectors and hence connected to the phone company somehow..perhaps via the screw terminals in the middle of your pic). All the other wires (orange, green, brown, slate) from your 2 beige wire bunches should be hanging loose? (clipped and not connected to anything)

Anyway, once porting is done, you'd still have landline dialtone for a few days (can call out but can't receive calls) so you can still disconnect the house wires from telephone company and be certain that you've done it right.

After porting is done, check if you have dialtone (you should still have dialtone from landline)
Go out to the box and cut your 2 blue an 2 white-blue wires free from the butt connectors and connect the 2 blues together using 1 2-wire butt connector and 2 white-blues together using another 2-wire butt connector.
Back in the house and your dialtone should be gone.
Now, you can feed Ooma dialtone to your house wires by simply connecting a phone cord from Ooma's phone port to a walljack.

Links to the butt connector in this post: /viewtopic.php?t=7579&p=53387#p53387
#96735 by jstahl
Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:50 pm
Thank you, LB for the detailed reply. You are correct, "all the other wires (orange, green, brown, slate) from the 2 beige wire bunches" ARE hanging loose and not connected. Once the porting is complete I'll post a response and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.
#96835 by jstahl
Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:01 am
LB - It took me 16 days to find out that Ooma is unable to port my line because they do not have an "interconnect agreement" with my local phone company. So I went out to the box this morning and cut the two blue and two white-blue wires and connected them together as you instructed but I still have a dialtone on my landline. However, I did some more investigation in the box and discovered that the wires that I cut were part of the beige bundle and that bundle doesn't appear to be connected to anything in the box! The beige wires do go into my house but they are not connected to the box. So I pulled that bundle from the box and took another picture to get a better idea of exactly what is connected to what. The wire bundle that goes off to the left of the picture is not connected to anything. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. It appears I have some sort of "Frankenstein" wiring job here.

Box.JPG
Box.JPG (178.89 KiB) Viewed 8952 times
Last edited by jstahl on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
#96838 by murphy
Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:27 am
There are three phone plugs in the lower right corner of your picture.
Unplug all three of them and you landline dialtone should go away.
No rewiring is required unless you have an alarm system.
Tag the plugs so no one re-connects them.
#96840 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:59 am
While the beige bunch is not connected to anything, you still have dialtone in the house?
The only other wire bunch I see is the white one next to the thick black one. Where does that go? Into the house?
Did you check if have another NID somewhere else around the outside of the house or inside the garage?
Do you have dialtone when you plug a phone into any of those 3 test ports?
#96844 by jstahl
Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:00 pm
OK - I've done some more investigation. The beige bundle has two wires coming from it and both go into the house. One goes to my attic where it is spliced to another line and drops into one of my bedrooms. The other goes into my basement, and while it's difficult to trace. It appears to splice into two other beige lines; one is for a new phone jack in the finished basement and the other I am unable to trace its destination. It appears they are using the NIB as sort of a junction box since the none of the wires coming from the beige bundles are attached to anything in the box itself.
I checked the entire house thoroughly and could not find another NIB anywhere (including the attic or in the dropped ceiling in my basement).
Of the three test ports, I only receive a dialtone when plugged into the top test port. That port has two wires going to it: a red-white and a green-white. Each of those attaches to the two left screw terminals as seen in this picture:
Attachments
Box4.JPG
Box4.JPG (141.06 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
#96845 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 pm
Ok, if I were you, I'd make sure all your house walljacks get dialtone.

Then, go out to the NIB and disconnect all the wires from the thick wire bunch from anything that they are connected to (wether to the screw terminals or other wires). Then verify all your house jacks have no dialtone. Then you can safely connect your Ooma phone port to one of the wall jacks.