Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#96474 by lbmofo
Tue May 29, 2012 4:06 pm
chriscu wrote:So does the ooma become the router in some way? I am using a laptop and I only use it wirelessly. I guess I can plug it in, but I think the only way to do that would mess up the rest of the networked stuff around here?

Ooma is a router if you put it between the modem and the router but since you have it connected to router right now, it won't impact any of your other network components. However, since you have your Ooma connected to your router, the only way to get to the device setup page (at least initially; that's why you do the port forward referenced above) is via ethernet to Ooma's "To Home Network" port. Turning off wifi on your latpop forces the laptop to go through the ethernet cable.
#96478 by thunderbird
Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 pm
chriscu wrote:So does the ooma become the router in some way? I am using a laptop and I only use it wirelessly. I guess I can plug it in, but I think the only way to do that would mess up the rest of the networked stuff around here?

You only temporarily use the Network cable wired connection from the Laptop wired LAN port, to the Ooma Home port, to allow access to Ooma Setup, so that you can do initial settings that will allow alternate access to Ooma setup. You need to setup port forwarding, the Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi dongle if that's the type Internet connection you are going to use, etc., in the Ooma Setup page.

If you are going to use the Ooma Telo USB Wireless Wi-Fi dongle, you need to access Ooma Setup Wireless page to setup and connect to your Router's Wi-Fi.

Once in Ooma Setup, click on the Advanced page and setup port forwarding to 172.27.35.1:80 .
Then you have to reserve an IP address with a permanent lease, in you Router, for the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi dongle, or if you are using the Ooma device connected to the Router, the IP address that is issued to by the Router to the Ooma device.
Then with the network cable removed from the computer to the Ooma device Home port, you should be able to type http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the IP address that you reserved in the Router for the Wi-Fi dongle or Internet connection), and the Ooma Setup pages will open. You may go back to using Wi-Fi for your Laptop Internet connection.
#96545 by chriscu
Thu May 31, 2012 8:56 am
I can't do anything with it right now, it has been purple (upgrading) for nearly 24 hours now...normal? Maybe once it does that I will be able to navigate to the setup page, still haven't been successful with that.
#96547 by thunderbird
Thu May 31, 2012 10:11 am
chriscu wrote:I can't do anything with it right now, it has been purple (upgrading) for nearly 24 hours now...normal? Maybe once it does that I will be able to navigate to the setup page, still haven't been successful with that.

If the Ooma Symbol remains purple (normal is blue) for much longer, remove power from the Ooma Telo. Then repower the Ooma Telo.