Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#8250 by ttuttle
Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:10 pm
All of the computer wiring goes to a closet where I have the cable modem and a router setup. I have taken the Cat5 cable coming out the wall and plugged it into the MODEM port on the back of the ooma base unit. I then have a Cat5 cable coming out of the HOME port on the ooma base going into the INTERNET port on a netgear router. I then have another Cat5 cable coming out of the netgear router into the computer and I do have an internet connection. I have unplugged and plugged the ooma base in several times, restarted the computer, unplugged and plugged the router and the cable modem in the closet bck in, but I still have no dial tone on the phone and the the 1 and 2 buttons on the ooma base are red as well the play button and the forward button. I also have the phone plugged line plugged into the PHONE port on the ooma base. Any ideas why I don't have a dial tone? I have also successfully registered the ooma base online and ported my number over.
#8266 by WayneDsr
Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 am
I'm a little confused here, but it sounds to me like you can just use the connection (cat5) in your wall and connect to the MODEM port on ooma and ooma should work. Do NOT connect the HOME port to anything.
From what I'm understanding, the cat5 in the wall goes to a router in the closet. That should be all you need.
This is what it should look like:
modem--> router--> ooma
Not what the ooma book recommends, but that should work great for you.

Wayne
#8315 by ttuttle
Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:58 pm
Maybe I need to explain this better.

There is Cat5 cabeling for 4 room, the family room, living room, and garage that all goes to a closet. Since we do not want to have the ooma in a closet we want to put it in one of the bedrooms that is actually the "office".

The Cat5 cable out of the wall goes directly to the ooma base and is plugged into the MODEM port. A seperate Cat5 cable comes out of the the HOME port on the ooma and goes to the INTERNET port on a seperate router (not the one in the closet so now there are two routers in the house). Then from port number one on the router in the office is another Cat5 cable going to the pc. Unless I am reading it wrong this is how the install book shows it.

The ooma tab on the base is red and blinking. The 1 and 2 buttons as well as the play and forward button on the ooma base solid red. If anyone can fix this mess that would be awesome!!
#8322 by WayneDsr
Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:27 pm
If the cat 5 in the wall goes to your router in the closet, then to a modem, this is all you need.
Connect ooma to the cat 5 in the wall (via MODEM PORT). ooma should go blue after a couple of red resets.

In other words, treat ooma just as you would a pc.

You do not need anything plugged into the HOME port in this configuration.

Wayne
#8323 by murphy
Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:31 pm
Play and Fast Forward red means the hub is unable to detect a phone line on the wall port. You configured the hub to integrate with a land line but you don't have one connected to the wall port of the hub. If you don't intend to integrate a land line with the hub, you will have to call support and have them configure the hub to work without a land line.
#8324 by WayneDsr
Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:32 pm
Yes, what murphy said... I missed that one!

Wayne
#10155 by pl1
Fri May 22, 2009 2:16 pm
If you don't intend to integrate a land line with the hub, you will have to call support and have them configure the hub to work without a land line.
Murphy, Does this automatically rectify itself once I have my number ported and I lose my dialtone? Or would I need to call to change the hub to work without a landline. I never remember being asked this question during the activation process and now I am forced to use a landline in order for my hub to work.
#10157 by WayneDsr
Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm
You can call customer service and they will change your setup to work with out a landline. Just takes a minute.

I believe once you're ported all should work without changing anything.

Wayne
#10159 by pl1
Fri May 22, 2009 3:27 pm
WayneDsr wrote:You can call customer service and they will change your setup to work with out a landline. Just takes a minute.
OK, Thanks.