Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#95905 by ric_barline
Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 pm
I'm new, and trying to understand how this works. I have already gotten things up and running by connecting the Telo to the last empty LAN port on my 4-port router, and it works great. But now I would like to try inserting the Telo "in front of" the router and try that, in order to free up a LAN port. I was told that I should connect the "Internet" port on my Telo to the modem output, and then connect the WAN port on my router to the "Home Network" port on the Telo. Well, my ISP is a microwave company and I don't have a modem, just a "radio" with its antenna pointed at the microwave tower and a CAT5 cable going to the WAN port on my router, and it assigns my router a fixed IP address. If I just plug this cable into the Telo Internet port, will it work? If so, this seems to imply that the Telo acts like a router itself, providing another IP address to my router, which then provides addresses to my other devices. Is this correct? Will I need to go in and configure the Telo in order to make this work? Should I just leave things alone and not screw around with it? Thanks!
#95909 by lbmofo
Wed May 16, 2012 2:50 pm
I think the answer is yes yes and yes.... but then again, you can just leave it the way it is and get a switch to get more ports. I got an inexpensive Gigabit ZyXEL.

Check out these optimal setups for your reference:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

Voice Quality Issues thread for your reference: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#95974 by ric_barline
Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 am
Thanks! I think I'll just leave the Ooma connected to the LAN port on my router (I think you call this "behind the router"). I just bought a switch to get more ports, thanks for the advice. I had no idea they are so cheap (I paid $10.80 on eBay for a 100Mb/s 5-port switch, with free shipping). :D