Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#95538 by scoutconnor
Thu May 03, 2012 4:20 pm
I finally did it!
I convinced my grandparents to get the Telo!

I plan to head up to their place sometime in the next few weeks to get things situated for them and to set things up. They have DSL and phone service from Fairpoint Communications. I want to have them test out the Ooma service to ensure that it'll meet their needs (It should) and then do the following:
(1) Dry loop their DSL service
(2) OR if it is more cost effective, drop their phone service to the lowest available (if it is less expensive than dry loop)
(3) Port their current number to Ooma

They need to be able to access 911 in the event of a power outage and from what I've heard, Fairpoint should be required to provide it, even without phone service through them (They do not get cell coverage at their house).

Does anyone have expierience with Fairpoint and Ooma?
#95540 by WayneDsr
Thu May 03, 2012 4:55 pm
Not a Fairpoint customer, however AT&T here. When I decided to go dryloop AT&T offered to keep my phone with basic service and charge me dryloop charge. This would be perfect for your parents, they'd still have backup phone service.
Wayne
#95556 by scoutconnor
Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 am
How would Ito about having their current number transferred to Ooma while leaving a basic phone line open as a backup?
#95559 by WayneDsr
Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 am
Oh, that's a tough one. Like I said before I don't know about your service, but AT&T uses my phone number as my account number. Moving that number would disconnect the whole account and you wouldn't have a phone, just dry loop.
FYI I heard that AT&T is no longer selling dry loop to new customers, (at least in my area) you must have a phone connected to the account.

Of course with Fairpoint, your experience could be totally different. Lets hope you get some feedback from another Fairpoint customer.

Wayne
#95580 by scoutconnor
Sat May 05, 2012 5:46 am
WayneDsr wrote:Of course with Fairpoint, your experience could be totally different. Lets hope you get some feedback from another Fairpoint customer.

Agreed.
Now I'm being told that the number can't be ported in the first place...
I had read on here that I could try moving it to a prepaid cell phone and then from that to Ooma but no one has confirmed that it would work.
Fairpoint is just a ton of fun.