Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#95498 by mac711
Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 pm
I have seen several online reviews and unboxing of the Telo which showed a "wall," port on the Telo. Some claimed this was to have a landline be backup should the Ooma service go down.

However, my new Telo does not have this "Wall," port. Why is it gone and are we missing a lot without it?
#95526 by 7862315445
Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 am
The wall port is no longer needed. If you want to connect your entire home via Ooma use the jack marked phone. Plug it directly into the wall jack. Before doing so make sure have cut the power supply for the home's wall jacks if it's not done prior to connecting Ooma the power from those wall jacks will damage the unit. Ooma has a section in support to walk you thru.
#95886 by Gardien
Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 pm
I just set up ooma on the main house line, but I also have a separate business line. We currently have Comcast and if our initial ooma experience is good, I will port both lines over to ooma (so far, so good). Do I need Comcast to do anything beside me cancelling service? Can I disconnect the line myself prior to officially cancelling Comcast service?

First day with ooma has been terrific, so I'm very optimistic that it will be a good move, but I'm trying to minimize the pain of change as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
#95890 by lbmofo
Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 pm
Gardien wrote:I just set up ooma on the main house line, but I also have a separate business line. We currently have Comcast and if our initial ooma experience is good, I will port both lines over to ooma (so far, so good). Do I need Comcast to do anything beside me cancelling service? Can I disconnect the line myself prior to officially cancelling Comcast service?

First day with ooma has been terrific, so I'm very optimistic that it will be a good move, but I'm trying to minimize the pain of change as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Welcome. In order for number porting to work, you'd need to keep the phone service, where your number is coming from, active. Once port is complete, you can call the old service to confirm cancellation etc.

If you have Comcast phone service right now and they set it up so that whole house has Comcast phone service (every walljack has Comcast dialtone), you can do the same thing with Ooma (the jack you are feeding Comcast dialtone to, you can feed the Ooma dialtone to; just make sure you do one or the other and not both). It is still a good idea to make sure your house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company before you feed Ooma's dialtone to your walljack though. Check this out: viewtopic.php?t=13354

While number porting, you can forward your Comcast calls to your Ooma assigned number and start using Ooma right away. Only drawback is that your outgoing number would show your Ooma assigned number before porting is complete.

The Comcast phone/modem combo, you'd find that you are likely paying something like $10 a month in rental fee. I'd get your own modem to save some more $ every month. Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem would be a good choice; just a modem, no wifi, no phone ports.
#95894 by Gardien
Wed May 16, 2012 7:39 am
Thank you, lbmofo.

You confirmed exactly what my thoughts are, but wanted to confirm. I already own my own modem. :) Not to do so is silly since you can get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for ~$80. Comcast had it up and running in a bout 30 seconds for me.

I already forwarded the house phone comcast number to the ooma number and it works flawlessly so far.

Thanks again for your comments and help.

Gardien.