Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#8150 by DSkoss
Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:10 am
Hi,

I'm new to Ooma, but am much impressed so far. Before I commit to anything that is difficult to switch around later, I wanted to make sure that the setup I have planned will work as I think it will.

I've got a 2 line cordless Panasonic base with 3 extra handsets. For the moment, I am keeping my landline, but once I'm sure this is all working well, I plan to port the number to Ooma and cancel it. The phone base L1 is plugged into the Hub and I'll be plugging the Scout into L2. I would then like to assign my second phone number (and will continue my subscription to Premier) to the Scout.

Right now, I have the landline phone number and a second Ooma number, both of which are unassigned.

My question is, if I go ahead and assign the Ooma number to the Scout now (thus creating the entire separate second line/voicemailbox), will there be any difficulties when I port my landline number to Ooma (keeping it assigned to the Hub)? Also, will Ooma's call waiting work on both lines? What about the instant second line (incoming or outgoing)? Does that require a 3rd Ooma number in this configuration?

Many thanks for your advice!
#8277 by oomg
Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:47 am
DSkoss wrote:Right now, I have the landline phone number and a second Ooma number, both of which are unassigned.

My question is, if I go ahead and assign the Ooma number to the Scout now (thus creating the entire separate second line/voicemailbox), will there be any difficulties when I port my landline number to Ooma (keeping it assigned to the Hub)? Also, will Ooma's call waiting work on both lines? What about the instant second line (incoming or outgoing)? Does that require a 3rd Ooma number in this configuration?

When you state that you have an "unassigned" landline, I am assuming that you mean that it has yet to be ported.
From my experience, the porting of my landline (ATnT) was almost seamless (e.g. nothing more than a number change) which had no effect on my second ooma number which had been assigned to the scout.

Instant second line should work. Call waiting should work on both lines, but will not cross over between the unassigned and the assigned numbers. If I sound a bit vague here, it's because I generally send all calls to voicemail so that I am not even attempted to interrupt a call while I am on the line.
#8281 by DSkoss
Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:24 am
Thanks so much for the info!

What I meant by "unassigned" was that neither the Hub or Scout has been assigned a specific phone number yet, so that both the (not yet ported) landline number and the Ooma phone number are functioning as a single unit. I'm assuming that once I assign the Ooma number to the Scout exclusively, that the landline/to be ported number will, by default, continue to be associated with the hub for outgoing calls, and for incoming calls as well once porting has been completed.

It guess it is time to just leap in and experiment!
#8296 by oomg
Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 am
My understanding is that unless you specify otherwise, the number you port into ooma will be your line 1. So, try assigning line 2 to the Scout.
#8302 by DSkoss
Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 pm
That's exactly how I want it, so it looks like I'm good to go!

Thank you so much!