Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94866 by bmccollum
Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:40 am
I know there's a label somewhere on the Ooma Telo housing that lists what the Mac Address of the unit is.

I want to use Mac Address Filtering on my wireless router in order to only permit devices having specific Mac Addresses to connect to the network. I'll use this in conjunction with WPA2-Personal encryption. Also, I want to input the Ooma Telo Mac Address into the QoS area of my wireless router in order to assign highest priority bandwidth-wise to the Ooma Telo as to try to get the best service / experience from it.

Is the Mac Address printed on the label on the Ooma Telo the one I use? Seems like I've read somewhere that the Ooma Telo has 2 Mac Addresses (???). If that's the case where / how do I get to the other one to know what it is, and if there are actually 2 Mac Addresses, which one do I use to input into my router config. settings in order to assign highest priority to the Ooma Telo?

Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide.
#94867 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 am
You want to use the Modem Port (To Internet port) MAC address which is 1 higher than the one printed on the bottom of Ooma. You can find it when you get into setup.ooma.com as well. Easiest is to browse the devices connected to your router.
#94871 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 am
bmccollum wrote:So basically if the label for the Mac Address on the bottom of the Telo ends in "C4", I'd use the same existing 10 characters/numbers, with the exception of the last 2 now being "C5"?

Yes. You can confirm this by looking at devices connected to your router.
#94872 by EX Bell
Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 am
bmccollum wrote:I know there's a label somewhere on the Ooma Telo housing that lists what the Mac Address of the unit is.

I want to use Mac Address Filtering on my wireless router in order to only permit devices having specific Mac Addresses to connect to the network. I'll use this in conjunction with WPA2-Personal encryption. Also, I want to input the Ooma Telo Mac Address into the QoS area of my wireless router in order to assign highest priority bandwidth-wise to the Ooma Telo as to try to get the best service / experience from it.

Is the Mac Address printed on the label on the Ooma Telo the one I use? Seems like I've read somewhere that the Ooma Telo has 2 Mac Addresses (???). If that's the case where / how do I get to the other one to know what it is, and if there are actually 2 Mac Addresses, which one do I use to input into my router config. settings in order to assign highest priority to the Ooma Telo?

Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide.

lbmofo wrote:You want to use the Modem Port (To Internet port) MAC address which is 1 higher than the one printed on the bottom of Ooma. You can find it when you get into setup.ooma.com as well. Easiest is to browse the devices connected to your router.

Although I have a Netgear router that actually filters both wireless and wired connections from a single window, I believe you are talking about MAC Address filtering for a wireless MAC address from the Telo is that correct? Do you have the wireless adapter for your Telo? I'm asking this because you mentioned WPA2 Personal. With most routers, my old Netgear being an exception, the MAC address filtering is for devices that connect wirelessly to the router. Therefor entering the MAC address of the Telo Internet Port (one higher than the MAC Address found on the bottom of the Telo) will not cause any harm, but will not actually do anything. You'll find that any device connected via direct ethernet will still be allowed to connect to the network. This is normal, since in a home environment you're not typically trying to stop anyone with local access to the router, you're trying to stop people from outside your home from connecting.

So if it's a wireless connection from the Telo you are talking about, it's the MAC address of the Telo wireless adapter that you need. I don't own this adapter, so it may very well be the same as the Internet Port MAC address. Someone here will comment I'm sure.

Some words about using MAC addresses for filtering access: I used to use this myself. It's an extra layer that will stop unsophisticated intrusion attacks, but it won't do anything if sophisticated intrusion attack software is used. Wireless devices will send out their MAC address over the air at regular intervals in order for the router to find them, allow access and prioritize network traffic, among other things. Finding out what MAC address is allowed to connect and cloning it to make the router think the intruder is authorized is a function that is possible with the right software, so MAC address filtering offers little protection. More often than not, I found it to be a real pain, since anytime a friend with a laptop or smart phone wants to "jump" on my network to borrow my high speed access, I would have to log into the router and add them manually. An even bigger issue was when I wasn't home, didn't have internet access to remote in or couldn't spare the time when my wife wanted to give one of her friends access. Some routers do have separate guest accounts with different passwords from the main router. They are usually restricted to internet access only, no local access. This is a good option if you have this feature and want to allow friends to borrow internet access from time to time.

You could also hide your SSID, but for similar reasons to MAC address filtering, that offers little protection and it just more of a pain than an actual security layer. You already mentioned wireless access restriction that is better than MAC address filtering or SSID hiding and that's WPA2-Personal, because it also encrypts all data transmitted over your wireless network. If you have the choice between WPA2 Personal TKIP and WPA2 Personal AES, choose AES only (not TKIP and AES together), as it's more secure than the older TKIP.

Keep your wireless access passwords long and mix numbers in, otherwise security is null and void if someone guesses your password.