Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94655 by herbray
Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:17 am
Howdy - -

I have a Telo which has a "WALL" port. I was attracted to this model because I liked the idea of redundancy: Internet down, then use POTS line; POTS line down, then use Internet. ("POTS" = "land-line")

I just activated the Telo, using the landline integration option, which means that Ooma has not assigned me a telephone number. It is my understanding that, in this configuration, my outgoing calls are handled by Ooma, and my incoming calls come in on my POTS line. Is this correct?

Now, I discovered that Telo will not provide dial tone if the POTS line is disconnected. Does that make any sense? Why should that matter on an outgoing call? Actually, if I first get a dial tone and place the call, I can then disconnect the POTS line so, clearly, the POTS line is not needed for outgoing.

In summary, if Internet is down, we fail over to POTS. If POTS is down, then Ooma is dead as well. I fail to see the sense in this structure. Can someone enlighten me?

Another question is: If I choose the first setup option of having an Ooma telephone number in addition to my POTS number, how does the "WALL" port work? Can I have full POTS service integrated with full Ooma service?

Thanks.
#94658 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 am
In landline integration mode, all incoming and outgoing toll free, local, 911 calls go through the service connected to the "wall" port.

The standalone mode is when you get a number from Ooma and not depend on any other exisiting phone service.

Landline Pass-through:

Whether in landline integration or standalone mode,

Hub: If the Internet or power goes out then phones connected to the Hub would just pass through to landline dialtone plugged into the wall port.

Telo: Only if the Internet connection goes down.

If standalone mode, no incoming call pass-through.
#94701 by herbray
Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am
In landline integration mode, all incoming and outgoing toll free, local, 911 calls go through the service connected to the "wall" port.

If all of the incoming and outgoing are going through the "WALL" port, then why have Ooma at all?

Telo: Only if the Internet connection goes down.

If I get rid of land-line integration in favor of stand-alone, Telo will fail-over to the "WALL" port when Internet goes down?

What about when no power? Telo will be dead, thus requiring a phone connected direct to POTS?

It sound like there is absolutely no advantage to going with land-line integration, is there?

- - Herb
#94705 by murphy
Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:55 am
herbray wrote:At this point, the question is what advantage is there to land-line integration? I seem to be missing something.

Many of us have stated for years that there is no advantage to landline integration.
The whole point of Ooma is to get rid of the landline.

Ooma now agrees with us since the latest version of the Telo does not have a wall jack.
#94708 by herbray
Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:44 pm
Ooma now agrees with us since the latest version of the Telo does not have a wall jack.

If the "WALL" port facilitates a fail-over to POTS in the event of Internet failure, then it's very cool. It just seems that Ooma's specific integration is a bit lame, especially since the kit-and-kaboodle is disabled if POTS goes away.

Why would they design it that way? I'm paying for Ooma and I can't place a call if my POTS line goes away. Who dreamed that up?

- - Herb
#94715 by Cyberchat
Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Herb,

We use our cellphone service as our automatic failover telephone service backup if the OOMA service isn't available for some reason. Check out the following topic for more information:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12290#p86091