Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94450 by woodbutcher
Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 pm
I have been using my Ooma hub for almost a year and enjoying it. I have decided that I want to connect the Scout to access the second line on one of my phones. When I connect the line from the wall to the port provided and then run a line to the phone from the port on the Scout labelled phone, upon connecting the adapter to power, the first row of buttons lights red then go off, the second row lights red then go off, and the bottom row of four buttons light solid red and stay on. The Ooma tab is red and stays on through the sequence. I have tried the connection on two different phones with the same result. I have contacted tech support, and they sent me a new Scout, but it does the exact same thing the old one did. I must be doing something wrong, but what could it be?
#94451 by murphy
Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:27 pm
The wall port of the hub must be connected to the wall port of the scout either directly or through the building wiring.

Sit the scout beside the hub and connect the wall port of each together with a phone cord.
Do the lights go out?
Does the phone port on the scout have a dial tone?
#94464 by woodbutcher
Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:04 am
Hi Murphy,
Yes, the dial tone comes through on the scout when the phone lines are connected, even when the power is off. But I have set up the scout right next to the hub as instructed by tech support and it did not change the way the lights went through their sequence. They also had me reboot the scout causing no change, so they sent a new scout which does the exact same sequence as the original. It makes me think I must be doing something wrong.
Thanks for the reply.
Butch
#94465 by murphy
Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:34 am
There can't be a dial tone if the power is off on a scout.
Did you connect the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout and no place else?
Are you using landline integration?
Do you have DSL instead of cable or FIOS?

Describe your installation in detail.
#94467 by woodbutcher
Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:16 am
I'll try to explain it. But first, let me say that when I connected the wall port of the Scout to the wall port of the hub, I got no signal. So I plugged it into the phone port of the hub and the dial tone on the phone attached to the Scout works normally, even though the bottom row of lights is lit solid red as is the tab on the scout. The tab on the hub remains solid blue throughout the whole exercise.
My system is not what is recommended or recognized by Ooma, but it works very well. I have wireless internet provided by line-of-sight on a tower a few miles from my house. Speed is more than sufficient, although the speed fluctuates. I do not have landline service. I plug the phone line from the whole house(4 outlets with 4 phones and 3 extensions) into the phone port of the hub, and all the phones work. Something about this arrangement is not compatible with the scout, I guess.
Butch
#94468 by murphy
Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:45 am
That confiuration should work with a scout.
Use a short phone cord to connect the wall jack of the hub to the wall jack of the scout.
Connect a phone to the phone jack of the scout.
Once the light display on the scout finishes only the tab on the back of the scout should be lit blue.
The knob on the right side of the scout controls the light intensity.
There should be a dial tone on the phone connected to the scout.
The number 1 button on the scout should be on solid when it's attached phone is off hook and the number 1 button on the hub should blink.

If you then take the phone connected to the hub off hook the number 2 light on the hub should be on solid and the number 2 light on the scout should blink.

If it doesn't work check the pins in the hub's wall jack to verify they are parallel to each other and not bent out of position.
#94474 by woodbutcher
Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am
You are a genius! I am amazed and impressed. When I connected just the way you described, my Scout went through that familiar light sequence, and then its tab lit solid blue after the red lights went off. I'm in business now, thanks.
Butch