Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94296 by bmccollum
Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:35 am
I have a Buffalo Tech wireless router, a Netgear 8-port switch connected to a port on the Buffalo Tech wireless router, and our Ooma Telo is connected to the Netgear 8-port switch.

I have QoS capabilities on the Buffalo Tech wireless router.

I don't believe my Netgear 8-port switch has QoS capabilities.

My questions is that if I want traffic going to/from the Ooma Telo to be prioritized and given top priority over the other network equipment in the house, how exactly would I assign that priority on the Buffalo Tech wireless router? My assumption here is that if, for example, I assign Port 4 on the wireless router to have highest priority because I know the Netgear 8-port switch is connected to Port 4, how's that going to trickle down to the Ooma Telo that's connected to Port 4 of the wireless router, as I also have several other devices connected to the 8-port switch that connects back to Port 4?

Thanks for any help / clarification here.
#94297 by murphy
Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 am
I don't know your router but see if you can assign priority based on the MAC address of the Telo's internet port.
The internet port MAC address is one higher than the MAC address on the label of the Telo.
#94299 by bmccollum
Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 am
So by "The internet port MAC address is one higher than the MAC address on the label of the Telo.", do you mean if the (fabricated example) MAC address on the label of the Ooma Telo is "12:34:a5:b4:56:78", then the adjusted MAC address I'd use for QoS settings within my wireless router would be "12:34:a5:b4:56:79"?
#94300 by murphy
Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:10 am
bmccollum wrote:So by "The internet port MAC address is one higher than the MAC address on the label of the Telo.", do you mean if the (fabricated example) MAC address on the label of the Ooma Telo is "12:34:a5:b4:56:78", then the adjusted MAC address I'd use for QoS settings within my wireless router would be "12:34:a5:b4:56:79"?

Yes
#94304 by bmccollum
Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:02 pm
Awesome. Many thanks for the info. here. I'll try what you suggested and we'll see what happens. Call quality and so forth are generally pretty solid with our Ooma Telo, minus a little bothersome voice lag/delay on occasion. I'll see if the QoS adjustment you suggested helps that aspect out.