Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#93920 by verbhertz
Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:10 pm
I have read countless threads here and elsewhere on the internet and spent more hours than I care to count over the past week trying to figure out. For reference, my Comcast internet is usually around 25 mbps downstream and 4 mbps upstream.

Originally I unplugged all my devices the installed the Ooma like so:

Modem -> Ooma -> Router (Belkin F5D8236-4)

The Ooma works fine like this, but my internet download speed slows to > .30 mpbs, but my upstream stays around 4mpbs. I have tried fiddling with QoS on the Ooma but nothing seems to matter. Everytime I change any settings and update, I've also unplugged all my network devices and powered them on one at a time from the beginning of the chain (modem).

I've also changed Internet from automatic to DHCP and set it to use the built-in MAC address. Nothing seems to help the speed.

Because of this, I've also tried resetting the Ooma to factory settings and plugging it into one of my router ports like so:

Modem -> Router -> Ooma

but this way, the Ooma never gets an IP address. My router is set to DHCP and my computer is wired and gets an IP just fine. I've made sure the Ooma was set to DHCP but it won't get an IP for some reason. So I changed the Ooma to have a static IP just out of the range of my DHCP and I changed the Ooma to have the same subnet. With this, the Ooma main page actually says that the internet is connected with a green check but that is all I get, nothing else. It never connects to the Ooma service.

I entered the Ooma static IP in the DMZ portion of my router but that didn't seem to affect anything (or maybe that was needed to get the internet box to get a green check, I forget). My point is, even with that nothing seems to work.

I'm not some computer guru but I'm usually good at trouble shooting technical issues. Now the only thing I want to shoot is my Ooma! Please help! :cry:
#93921 by WayneDsr
Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:49 pm
Setup as so:
modem: router : ooma telo
Nothing should be plugged into the HOME NETWORK jack on the rear of the telo.

Now plug a laptop or pc into the Home Network port of the telo. Temporarily disable wireless on the laptop if it is enabled. Reboot the laptop so it receives an IP from the Telo. Open your browser and go to setup.ooma.com

First of all, if you changed the ip address of the Telo to your own ip scheme, change it back to the original (172.27.35.1) along with the netmask (255.255.255.0) and start end address of the DHCP (172.27.35.10 and 160) Hit the update button and reboot your laptop to get a new IP from ooma and log in to setup.ooma.com once again.

This should take you to Oomas setup screen once again. Go to the Internet tab. Make sure the connection type is DYNAMIC (DHCP)
Also make sure the INTERNET PORT MAC ADDRESS is set to USE BUILT IN. Click on UPDATE DEVICE at the bottom of the screen

Under the ADVANCED tab set the Quality of Service to zeros. Click UPDATE below QOS settings.

Turn off the Telo, router, and modem. After about 30 seconds or so power up the modem. When the modem seems to stabilize, power up the router. Once the router is powered up, power up ooma.
The laptop that is connected to the Home Network port should be able to log into the internet. You can disconnect the laptop after testing. Your phone and internet should play well together now.

Let us know what you find.

Wayne
#93930 by EX Bell
Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:24 pm
Follow WayneDsr recommendations, but I would also suggest you test just the modem and Telo together. With your PC plugged into the Home port of the Telo, you should be able to get internet and run quality tests. Use the following and after you get the results, click on the last tab and post your results here.

phone power

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server:
Jitter: server --> you:
Packet loss: you --> server:
Packet loss: server --> you:
Packet discards:
Packets out of order:
Estimated MOS score:

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed:
Upload speed:
Download quality of service:
Upload quality of service:
Maximum TCP delay:
Average download pause:
Minimum round trip time to server:
Average round trip time to server:
Estimated download bandwidth:
Route concurrency:
Download TCP forced idle:
Maximum route speed:

Then consider that you might need to replace your Belkin router. I've not had good sucess with Belkin products myself and this is the second post I've read concerning slow internet speeds and a Belkin router.

Post by phonehome: modem/ooma/router = slow internet speed
#93931 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:46 pm
verbhertz:
One small addition to the setup suggestions above.
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

Optional Aid to change Ooma connection from Modem-Ooma-Router connection to Modem-Router-Ooma connection:
Start with Modem-Ooma- Router connection with the Ooma Telo fully booted and operating normally. Right after the *#*#099 command is entered in the phone, and you have pressed the 1 button on the phone and hear the busy signal, and then hang up the phone, disconnect the Internet cable that is connected to the Ooma Telo Internet port. This should prevent the Ooma Telo from re-acquiring the Modem information, which may be preventing the Modem-Router LAN-Ooma connection. After the Ooma Telo reboots up to the red flashing Ooma symbol, remove power from the Ooma Telo. Before powering the Ooma Telo, reconnect Ooma-Router-Ooma. This procedure seems to lengthen the reset procedure, so be patient when nothing seems to be happening. Then repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.
#93945 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:57 pm
verbhertz wrote:Argg I just set it up like Wayne suggested and now my Ooma only lights up the 1 and 2 buttons blue.

If the Ooma Telo only boots to the Line 1 and Line 2 numbers, and no farther, the boot loader is stuck or has failed.

Remove power from the Ooma Telo. Remove the network cables from the Ooma Telo Internet port and the Home port. Repower the Ooma Telo and see if it will boot past the Blue Line 1 & 2 lights. If it does, let it boot until you see the red flashing Ooma symbol. If it boots to the red flashing symbol, connect the Internet cable from the Modem to the Ooma Telo Internet port. The Ooma Telo should eventually connect. Then do the factory reset procedure that I suggested previously in this thread.

If the Ooma Telo only boots again to the Blue Line 1 & 2 numbers, and it is within the one year warranty period, you should ask Ooma Customer Support for a replacement Ooma device. The Ooma device comes shipping prepaid, and also there is a prepaid shipping label enclosed to send the defective Ooma device back.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#93950 by verbhertz
Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:14 pm
VoIP test statistics
--------------------------
Upstream jitter 2.4 ms
Downstream jitter 2.2 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.2 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 99.5 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.0
REGISTER ms 711 ms
INVITE ms 692 ms
BYE ms 6 ms
Test VoIP and Speed Test

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2077 kbps
Upload speed: 3752 kbps
Download quality of service: 29%
Upload quality of service: 95%
Maximum TCP delay: 85ms
Average download pause: 10ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 80ms
Average round trip time to server: 81ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 21600 kbps
Route concurrency: 10.398013
Download TCP forced idle: 70 %
Maximum route speed: 6553 kbps
#93951 by verbhertz
Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:26 pm
Here is what I get WITHOUT the Ooma, and just Modem -> Router - > Ooma

Upstream jitter 1.8 ms
Downstream jitter 2.0 ms
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.1
REGISTER ms 720 ms
INVITE ms 698 ms
BYE ms 4 ms

and download speed is 17801 kbps

When I change QoS to zero, it doesn't increase my speed at all.
#93952 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 pm
verbhertz wrote:Here is what I get WITHOUT the Ooma, and just Modem -> Router - > Ooma

Upstream jitter 1.8 ms
Downstream jitter 2.0 ms
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.1
REGISTER ms 720 ms
INVITE ms 698 ms
BYE ms 4 ms

and download speed is 17801 kbps

When I change QoS to zero, it doesn't increase my speed at all.

Setting the Ooma Telo Quality of Service setting to Zero, turns off the QoS.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, the Ooma Telo shouldn't pull down your Internet speed for any device connected to your LAN. Normally when a Modem-Router-Ooma connection is used, nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except to connect a computer to view and make Ooma Setup adjustments.

If you are using something connected to the Ooma Home port (or even if nothing is connected to the Ooma device Home port) with a Modem-Router-Ooma connection, try setting the Ooma Telo Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings to a value of about 1000 Kbps higher then the measured Upload and Down load speed, as measured by Phonepower Speedtest http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest . Then test and see if you can see a difference?