Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#93687 by uhclem
Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:50 pm
Hey folks--just ported my old number to ooma and am looking forward to cutting the cord with AT&T. I've read several threads on this subject, but want to make sure I'm "doing it right". The wiring in my NIB seems a bit different from other examples I've seen out there. I have 3 wires coming into the NIB. Two of these are Green-Red, Black-Yellow pairs, and I also have a single pair that is grey/orange striped (both wires are the same color). Not really sure what that one is.

If I read the other threads correctly, I need to remove the green-red pairs and splice the like colors together (to complete a circuit). So, I take the two sets green wires from the left nut and put them together (using some sort of connector, I guess?) and then take the two sets of red wires and do the same. Can I leave the black-yellow wires connected to the nuts? What about the grey/orange.

As for my setup--I am using a cable modem (not DSL) and I do not have an alarm system (at least not one that I'm aware of!).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
photo.JPG
Picture of NIB connections in my basement. Three sets of wire are attached to these nuts. Two carry green-red- yellow-black wires, one carries the orange/gray pair.
photo.JPG (100.33 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
#93689 by murphy
Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm
You must have an old house. Mine was built in 1957 and used to have two of those.

You missed the heavy black wires going to the two outside nuts.
Follow those and verify that they go outside.
The center nut is the earth ground. That device is a surge suppressor.

A picture of where the wires go below the nuts would help but my guess would be to remove all of the wires except for the heavy black one from the left nut and twist all of them together and install a wire nut (plastic cone shape with a coiled spring inside).

Do the same for the right nut.

Verify that all of the jacks in your house are now dead.

If you have a voltmeter and the black wires are still connected to the phone company there will be about 48 volts DC across the two outer nuts.
#93694 by uhclem
Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm
Good catch on the heavy black wires. Yes, they appear to run up through the outside wall (presumably to the outside).

So, I should leave the heavy black wires attached, and bundle the remaining wires into two separate wire nuts? With the heavy black wires attached, will there still be a connection from the telco into my home wiring?
#93698 by murphy
Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 am
uhclem wrote:Good catch on the heavy black wires. Yes, they appear to run up through the outside wall (presumably to the outside).

So, I should leave the heavy black wires attached, and bundle the remaining wires into two separate wire nuts? With the heavy black wires attached, will there still be a connection from the telco into my home wiring?

Leave the heavy black wires attached to the block so any surges (lightning) that come in on them have a path to ground through the surge protectors earth ground wire. You might want to verify that the ground wire goes outside and is connected to the ground rod below your electric meter.

There should not be an external connection any longer. The reason for the meter reading was to verify that the black wires are the outside feed since I can't tell from your picture where they go.

If the phone company left a dial tone on their line connecting a phone across the black wires would verify them as the phone company connection. Easy with a telephone test set. Not so easy if you don't have one.
#93701 by uhclem
Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 am
Thanks for your help with this! The phones connected to the home wiring no longer carry a dialtone after the number was ported. Just one question--is the need to cap the old phone wires into a group because you need a closed circuit in the house that the ooma line can run through, or is it simply a matter of convenience? In other words, if I just took the wires off the NIB and left them to dangle, would I still be able to run an ooma line through the house from the Telo device?
#93702 by murphy
Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am
uhclem wrote:Thanks for your help with this! The phones connected to the home wiring no longer carry a dialtone after the number was ported. Just one question--is the need to cap the old phone wires into a group because you need a closed circuit in the house that the ooma line can run through, or is it simply a matter of convenience? In other words, if I just took the wires off the NIB and left them to dangle, would I still be able to run an ooma line through the house from the Telo device?

All of the wires need to be connected together so all of the jacks in your house are connected together. You could separate them and do tests to see what jacks a specific wire pair connects to. I would expect configurations such as one cable going to the first floor, a second cable going to the second floor, etc. If you don't care where they go, then there is no need to do the tests.