Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#93397 by voicebysavoie
Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:40 pm
We used to go through ATT U-verse. Since then we had our prior phone number ported over to Ooma. The telo works perfectly, but I now have a problem and need help.

Prior to our number being ported, all the wall phone jacks in our house worked fine. If I'm understanding the installation instructions correctly, I should be able to just plug the telo into a wall jack, and then all the jacks in my house should work like they used to.

That isn't happening. If I plug the telo into a jack that I know worked before, I get nothing in any of the other jacks that worked. I have contacted AT&T, but they are of no help at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If I plug a phone directly into the telo, that phone alone works.
#93399 by EX Bell
Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 pm
Disconnect your Telo from the wall jacks if you have not isolated your phone wiring from the previous phone service. If there is power coming in from an AT&T line, it'll fry your Telo. You basically need to have all your jacks in the house connected together, but you don't want to have them connected to the outside service from your previous provider.

I'm sure one of the old salts will be able to explain it better than I can. If you want to make things easier on yourself and don't mind replacing your old phones, one of the multiphone cordless DECT 6.0 phone systems plugged into the Telo is the way to go. I recommend, as many other do as well, the DECT 6.0 cordless phones from Panasonic. I replaced my old 5 Ghz Uniden which was causing issues with my Wireless connection, with a Panasonic KX-TG6655S. Look here for more info about the phones.
Last edited by EX Bell on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
#93401 by thunderbird
Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 am
voicebysavoie:
House phone wiring Ooma Connection.

Check and double check the next item. Many people have though that they have disconnected the old phone provider phone wiring, but they haven’t.

Make sure that you have disconnected the old phone provider phone lines that come in from the street to the box at the side of your house. Check and double check. If not done correctly, damage to the Ooma device could occur. If you are unsure, take a photo of the wiring on the inside of the house phone box, and post it in this thread. Some one will advise you.

Connect a phone cord from the Ooma device Phone port, to a house wall phone receptacle (jack). If your Ooma device has a Wall phone port, don't use it. If you want to use a phone near the Ooma device, and feed the house wall receptacle (jack) at the same time, use a phone line splitter.

If that doesn’t work:
Go around the house and disconnect all of the phones where they connect to the house wall jacks. With the Ooma Phone port connected to a house wall jack with a phone cord, plug connect just one phone to a house wall jack that is nearest to the Ooma house wall jack, and see if you get Ooma Dial tone. If you get dial tone, add another phone, etc.

If that doesn't work:
With all house phones and the Ooma Phone port phone cord disconnected from the house phone jacks, first using a multi-meter, check for any kind of voltage between phone wires. There should be no voltage. If you find voltage, you will have to find out what is causing the voltage. Check for continuity from phone jack to phone jack throughout the house. Also check for a path from the house phone wires to ground. If you find a path (short) to ground, you will have to find out what is causing it.

One person had loose or corroded wire(s) connection(s) at the House wall jack were he plugged in the Ooma phone line cord. All he had to do was to access the jack wire terminals and tighten the terminal screws where the wires connected to the jack, and everything then worked fine.
#93408 by Cyberchat
Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:14 am
voicebysavoie wrote:We used to go through ATT U-verse. Since then we had our prior phone number ported over to Ooma. The telo works perfectly, but I now have a problem and need help.

Prior to our number being ported, all the wall phone jacks in our house worked fine. If I'm understanding the installation instructions correctly, I should be able to just plug the telo into a wall jack, and then all the jacks in my house should work like they used to.

That isn't happening. If I plug the telo into a jack that I know worked before, I get nothing in any of the other jacks that worked. I have contacted AT&T, but they are of no help at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If I plug a phone directly into the telo, that phone alone works.

voicebysavoie,

For an understanding of your home wiring and how to safely connect VOIP to it, check out the following topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13354