Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105688 by jstockton
Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm
thunderbird wrote:jstockton:
If you go to https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... G_2011.pdf step 2, you will notice that the preferred method of connection is now Modem-Router-Ooma.

This was changed when the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle came out, which is considered a Modem-Router-Ooma connection.

Ya so that kinda stinks. Looks like I will have to get a switch.
#105695 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:11 pm
jstockton wrote:
If you go to https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... G_2011.pdf step 2, you will notice that the preferred method of connection is now Modem-Router-Ooma.

This was changed when the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle came out, which is considered a Modem-Router-Ooma connection.

Ya so that kinda stinks. Looks like I will have to get a switch.

I have two 8 ports switches in my home's LAN. You'd be surprised how fast those eight ports can be filled and all used, and later I was glad I got the eight port switches.
#105704 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 pm

I wouldn't say the "default" setup is the "preferred." The QSG still says Modem-Ooma-Router gives you the best results.

Installing the Telo between your modem and router will result in the best voice quality. This setup allows Ooma to
prioritize your phone calls over other network traffic. Don’t worry, this won’t slow down your Internet connection.
#105705 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 pm
jstockton, about Ooma between modem and router slowing your download speed.....

You said you are doing "built in MAC" in Ooma setup page right?

Now, go take a look at your router to see if that's spoofing some kind of MAC address...usually under "use my PC's MAC" or "Clone my computer's MAC" or something like that. Undo that if you find it. Usually under Internet Connection setup...in the MAC address field, make sure what's showing is printed on your router...if not change to your router's label printed MAC.

Power off everything and then power up in proper order again.
#105829 by cpmkmk
Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm
I have been using Ooma for about 3 years. For these three years my phone quality has been very good, however not my internet quality. My step up from the start of Ooma has been with one desktop XP windows computer hooked up to the Ethernet port from Ooma and my cable internet Motorola gateway modem/wireless router (combo) Ethernet cable plugged into my Ooma box. My Motorola gateway router/modem box only has one Ethernet port also. Since my router is also wifi, I and several others have always enjoyed good quality wireless connections in my home. However my desktop with it’s cabled via Ethernet has had problems. Again however the wireless devices seemed to have normal reception. I tried everything with my desktop over the years, I thought it was my firewall, my virus program, my Ethernet device driver, on and on with no help. On my desktop my internet connection was about 50% good. Most sites seem ok, then often no good at all –very spotty. I tried rebooting, sometimes that helps but not for long. Well very happy to say here is solution!!! I installed a desktop switch ( D-link 8 port 10/100/10000 model DGS-2208) and my problems SOLVED. The Ethernet cord from my modem/ router now goes into the #1 location on the desktop switch –then I plug my computer into one of the ports on this switch and Ooma into another port on the switch thus my internet connection does not have to FLOW through Ooma anymore.
All of my websites load super well via my Ethernet connection from the desk top switch now and my Ooma continues to work just super. Apparently the FLOW THROUGH internet connection on the Ooma box itself must have effected my Ethernet connection to my one desktop computer. When you think about it since the Modem/router combo has wireless WIFI capabilities they are kept independent since they are coming directly from itself and not getting router (or degraded) through the Ooma box. So anyway – PUT A DESK TOP SWITCH in your system and enjoy! I am not pushing D-Link at all. I am not employed by them and have no connection to them. It’s just the one I selected and it works very well. HOPE THIS HELPS!!

phonehome wrote:Preface: ANY and all help will be greatly APPRICATED!

Setup: Internet provider is Global Net with a wide-area wireless type system: 3m down/1m up. Router is a Belkin N with both wired and WiFi computers. I can access both the Ooma telo setup screen and Belkin setup screens. Physical configuration is "modem"/Ooma/router/computers.

What works: Ooma works well when connected as above. The default speed test from Ooma indicates an average of 920kps. Also the router works well when connected directly to the modem (no Ooma between) with speeds very close to advertised.

What doesn't work: Internet speeds are super-duper [dial-up] slow on the computers in this "modem"/Ooma/router configuration...have tried a variety of router settings to no avail. Speedtests are a no-go.

Some additional info:
The Internet provider requires a router setup with static IP address with specific subnet/gateway and DNS settings. They say the outside unit is designed to send all traffic (using the antenna's built-in NAT function) to my router's WAN interface at a [particular] IP setting.

I guess I may be getting some of the settings mixed up...I tried entering the IP required information into the Ooma device but language such as "Gateway" is not in the Ooma setup menu. Also some guidance/recommendations on both sides of the Ooma homeport and the router's settings would be helpful.

I have tried different Qos up/down speed settings in Ooma with no effect.

Thanks in advance,

PH
#105830 by cpmkmk
Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:29 pm
I have been using Ooma for about 3 years. For these three years my phone quality has been very good, however not my internet quality. My step up from the start of Ooma has been with one desktop XP windows computer hooked up to the Ethernet port from Ooma and my cable internet Motorola gateway modem/wireless router (combo) Ethernet cable plugged into my Ooma box. My Motorola gateway router/modem box only has one Ethernet port also. Since my router is also wifi, I and several others have always enjoyed good quality wireless connections in my home. However my desktop with it’s cabled via Ethernet has had problems. Again however the wireless devices seemed to have normal reception. I tried everything with my desktop over the years, I thought it was my firewall, my virus program, my Ethernet device driver, on and on with no help. On my desktop my internet connection was about 50% good. Most sites seem ok, then often no good at all –very spotty. I tried rebooting, sometimes that helps but not for long. Well very happy to say here is solution!!! I installed a desktop switch ( D-link 8 port 10/100/10000 model DGS-2208) and my problems SOLVED. The Ethernet cord from my modem/ router now goes into the #1 location on the desktop switch –then I plug my computer into one of the ports on this switch and Ooma into another port on the switch thus my internet connection does not have to FLOW through Ooma anymore.
All of my websites load super well via my Ethernet connection from the desk top switch now and my Ooma continues to work just super. Apparently the FLOW THROUGH internet connection on the Ooma box itself must have effected my Ethernet connection to my one desktop computer. When you think about it since the Modem/router combo has wireless WIFI capabilities they are kept independent since they are coming directly from itself and not getting router (or degraded) through the Ooma box. So anyway – PUT A DESK TOP SWITCH in your system and enjoy! I am not pushing D-Link at all. I am not employed by them and have no connection to them. It’s just the one I selected and it works very well. HOPE THIS HELPS!!