Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#7959 by Langdon
Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:37 pm
So I bought Ooma and have enjoyed it and am ready to ditch Bellsouth home line. I bought Premier and was going to port my home number online but it asked me if I had DSL and if it was stand-alone. I then called Bellsouth and it is not stand-alone.

Bellsouth then gave me a new (second) number and are coming out to put in a new jack for my new stand-alone DSL. Was this the right course of action? I did not tell Bellsouth that I would eventually be porting my home number because I had bought Ooma. I did not want them to know that.

My questions/concerns are:

1. Did the attendant do the right thing? I am thinking why can they not run stand-alone DSL on the same line (through all the same jacks that are already in my house)?
2. If they have to install another jack in my house that has this new DSL then this one jack is the only jack that will have this DSL and therefore once I port my number over the other (original) jacks in my house will now be dead and there will be no jack to plug my Scout into. Is my thinking correct here?
3. Now I get something in the mail telling me to go online and register my new DSL service with Bellsouth and apply for a new email address WELL I do not want a new email address. I want to keep it as that will be a huge pain to lose my email address
4. What should I do from here? Should I call Bellsouth back and tell them I am eventually going to go with Ooma and I do not want another jack I want stand-alone DSL to run through my pre-existing jacks?

Any help is appreciated as I am confused by what is the proper steps that should be taken. I really did not know that I was signing up for all this until I went to port the number.

Robb
#7964 by tommies
Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 pm
1. Did the attendant do the right thing? I am thinking why can they not run stand-alone DSL on the same line (through all the same jacks that are already in my house)?

Probably yes. Before, both DSL and phone service share the same line(ie phone number). Now they are separated, so 2 lines is needed(ie 2 phone numbers). For your request, just tell the technician to wire the DSL on line 1 of your house wiring.

2. If they have to install another jack in my house that has this new DSL then this one jack is the only jack that will have this DSL and therefore once I port my number over the other (original) jacks in my house will now be dead and there will be no jack to plug my Scout into. Is my thinking correct here?

No. This is the preferred setup. The DSL signal needs to be separated from the HPNA signal from the ooma hub&scout.

3. Now I get something in the mail telling me to go online and register my new DSL service with Bellsouth and apply for a new email address WELL I do not want a new email address. I want to keep it as that will be a huge pain to lose my email address

I don't know, my DSL account still stays the same (email, pw, login, etc) except with a different number.

4. What should I do from here? Should I call Bellsouth back and tell them I am eventually going to go with Ooma and I do not want another jack I want stand-alone DSL to run through my pre-existing jacks?

You should call Bellsouth/ATT to make sure that your DSL will not be terminated and replace with a new one, which will force you to lose your current email address.

In my case, I called ATT and told them I prepare to porting my number to another carrier and need my DSL to be dry loop and make sure the the number will not be disconnected. The dry loop completed in 10 days, and my number was out of service for almost 3 weeks, until the porting is completed. This is because I ordered the dry loop on the same day I sent in the LOA.

The total process was pretty smooth for me, except that ATT messes up my billing, and I have to call to request a reprint of my statement and eventually have to call in and pay with credit card (which cost me extra $5 processing fee).
#7979 by buzzman
Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:03 am
In my case, Qwest was going to charge me around $100 to dry-loop my DSL since a technician needs to come out to the house. Amazingly, when I told them the reason I want to dry-loop is because I'm thinking about porting my phone number, they said no dry-loop is needed since my DSL will automatically get a new account (non-phone) number once the porting is done.

That was about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to get my porting done.
#7981 by WayneDsr
Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:24 am
I think you need to do this:
Call AT&T (or Bellsouth) and tell them you want to dry loop your dsl and KEEP your existing number. They will put your new dsl on line 2 and leave your old number on line 1. Your new dsl will be assigned a new number and this is why your email address will probably change, since you are also retaining your existing number. (I think you already did this)

IF you can talk AT&T into putting your new dsl on line one and old number on line 2, that would probably be easier for you.

When that gets done to your satisfaction, start the porting process.

Do not start the porting process until you are dry looped or you stand a chance of losing your number and even losing your dsl connection!!

When ooma ports your number (it will take some time) your phone number on line 1 will be shut off.

Unless you can talk to someone at AT&T into letting you keep your email address, it will probably change to reflect the new account.

In my case, after reviewing all of this, I kept my landline at basic cost for backup.

Wayne
#7990 by Langdon
Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:55 am
Thanks everyone for the replies. I got a packet in the mail from AT&T for my new number for my stand-alone DSL and on the packing slip it states:

Service Activation:
New AT&T Internet Customers -
Please select your new Member ID (i.e. email address) and Password when registering your DSL service.
Existing AT&T Internet Customers -
Please use your existing Member ID and Password when registering your DSL service.

If I am reading this right I am thinking I can transfer my existing email address to my new stand-alone DSL which solves one of my two problems (I thought I would lose my email address which is more important to me than my home number).

My other problem is that my DSL would now only be on one jack in the house but someone already replied answering that question.

AT&T is not charging me to put in a new jack. They waived the charge. The only problem is they have not told me when they are coming out on Monday. I will need to call them about that one.

Again I really appreciate the quick responses. As you can tell I am a non-Techie. If anybody else has anything else to add regarding their experiences with this issue that would be great.

Robb
#8137 by bverdon
Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:12 am
Even if things go well, you really need to consider migrating your email to something like Gmail so you don't have such dependencies going forward.

I was a bellsouth.net email customer for years so I understand the pain involved...I had to convince my wife it was the right thing to do and it took her even longer to migrate.

We eventually moved to a neighborhood that could not be serviced via AT&T/Bellsouth and our emails never missed a beat during 2 moves!

I have Windstream DSL and chose to not be tied to their email system in the event we want to use Comcast broadband in the future.

It's the smart thing to do...trust me.
#8449 by Langdon
Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:12 pm
bverdon - I agree completely. At some point I need to slowly move all my contacts over to a Yahoo! or Gmail address and get them used to emailing me to that address so that when I to move or switch from Bellsouth DSL it is not such a drastic move. This event has made me aware of this handcuff issue.

STAND ALONE DSL UPDATE

Regarding the stand-alone DSL I called the day the installation of the new jack was supposed to take place and the person I got on the phone in the "retention" department was VERY helpful. She got straight to the point asking me if I was going to a VOIP so I said yes. She then asked if it was Vonage or MagicJack and I stated neither. She asked, "Who?" I told her Ooma. She had never heard of Ooma and asked me how much I was paying and I said nothing. She said, "well I can not compete with nothing." She tried her hardest to get me to keep a basic line and was willing to give me $20 off of my DSL service for 6 months. I still desclined.

Anyway back to the porting issue and getting stand-alone DSL.....she told me that the person who gave me a new number just for the DSL screwed up and that I did not need a new number nor did I need a new jack. She was canceling that order and would get my DSL to be stand-alone. She said it would be stand-alone by midnight that day but the next day I had a automated message at home stating there was a delay and it would be May 1st when the order would be completed. I am waiting until May 1st to port the number to Ooma now. Hopefully this girl knew what she was talking about. She sounded like she did.

Robb
#8459 by bverdon
Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:22 am
Langdon wrote:bverdon - I agree completely. At some point I need to slowly move all my contacts over to a Yahoo! or Gmail address and get them used to emailing me to that address so that when I to move or switch from Bellsouth DSL it is not such a drastic move. This event has made me aware of this handcuff issue.

STAND ALONE DSL UPDATE

Regarding the stand-alone DSL I called the day the installation of the new jack was supposed to take place and the person I got on the phone in the "retention" department was VERY helpful. She got straight to the point asking me if I was going to a VOIP so I said yes. She then asked if it was Vonage or MagicJack and I stated neither. She asked, "Who?" I told her Ooma. She had never heard of Ooma and asked me how much I was paying and I said nothing. She said, "well I can not compete with nothing." She tried her hardest to get me to keep a basic line and was willing to give me $20 off of my DSL service for 6 months. I still desclined.

Anyway back to the porting issue and getting stand-alone DSL.....she told me that the person who gave me a new number just for the DSL screwed up and that I did not need a new number nor did I need a new jack. She was canceling that order and would get my DSL to be stand-alone. She said it would be stand-alone by midnight that day but the next day I had a automated message at home stating there was a delay and it would be May 1st when the order would be completed. I am waiting until May 1st to port the number to Ooma now. Hopefully this girl knew what she was talking about. She sounded like she did.

Robb

Well good luck! Hope they get it right the first time.

btw....don't choose yahoo for email if you plan on using an SMTP/POP3 or IMAP client...they charge for that Google has 10 Gig's and all of that for free.

The best way to migrate is to set up both via your current client, and just set up your reply with the gmail account for a few months...this way you can weed out all the old bellsouth users and ask them to update their address book...and let them know that in another month, that account is going away.

It's not as painful as you think.
#8792 by kyosuke
Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:33 pm
Im going through the same ordeal because im with att.

So let me get this straight with what you all are saying.

1.call att tell them i want direct dsl and keep my home phone number.

2.they will then come to my house and install a 2nd phone line that will connect my dsl so that i may have direct dsl.

3.My home phone line will still receive a bill on line number 1 untill ooma ports it over.

4.Once my porting is complete line #1 is shut off.

5. I connect ooma to my 2nd home phone line which is what my dsl is using and i will have ooma all set up ready to go working like it should.

Is this correct ?

Im assuming all other phone outlets in my house will be useless ? because they are associated with line 1 ?