Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92839 by SRS
Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am
I am trying to wire my Ooma to my house jacks. When I located my NIB on the side of my house, it does not look like those described in the instructions. It does not have a customer access side, but is a box sealed with a note to call Verizon. When I opened the box (surge protector), I only see wire terminals -- there is no test plug to unplug. I have internet through cable and do not have an alarm system.

I have included photos below. Is this a junction box? Do I have to call Verizon, or can I disable this myself?
My Verizon NIB 001.jpg
My Verizon NIB 001.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

Thanks.
Attachments
My Verizon NIB.jpg
My Verizon NIB.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
#92846 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:26 pm
SRS wrote:I am trying to wire my Ooma to my house jacks. When I located my NIB on the side of my house, it does not look like those described in the instructions. It does not have a customer access side, but is a box sealed with a note to call Verizon. When I opened the box (surge protector), I only see wire terminals -- there is no test plug to unplug. I have internet through cable and do not have an alarm system.

I have included photos below. Is this a junction box? Do I have to call Verizon, or can I disable this myself?
My Verizon NIB 001.jpg

Thanks.

See if you can find any phone cables coming in from the street. The wires contained in the phone cables coming in from the street are the wires that need to be disconnected. If the phone cables are buried and come in from the inside wall, get a mirror and flashlight and looking through the hole in the side of the house that you opened, see if you can determine which phone cable wires are going to the house, and which phone cable wires are coming out of the ground to the terminal box.
#92847 by SRS
Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 pm
The tan wires look like they are going to the house and one of them looks like a ground wire. The black wire is coming up from below in a plastic conduit and has red (going to screw on the lower left side of photo), green (going to screw on the lower right side), yellow (going to screw on the upper left side) and black (going to screw on the upper right side of photo) wires coming out of it.
#92848 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:34 pm
SRS wrote:The tan wires look like they are going to the house and one of them looks like a ground wire. The black wire is coming up from below in a plastic conduit and has red (going to screw on the lower left side of photo), green (going to screw on the lower right side), yellow (going to screw on the upper left side) and black (going to screw on the upper right side of photo) wires coming out of it.

I would tag each Black Cable wire as to the terminal position it is connected to. Then remove each of the Black Cable wires, insulate each wire individually, and then stow the Black Cable.

Next connect a phone cord from the Ooma device's Phone port, to a house phone Jack. Next test each phone outlet in you home. If you want to use a phone near your Ooma device, use a phone wire splitter, to split the Ooma device phone port signal to the phone and house wall jack.