Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92824 by greggp
Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm
I can't seem to get my questions answered via OOMA telephone support. I am currently an ATT customer and have 1 residential phone number and 2 business numbers in my home office. My 2 wire DSL is on the same bill as my residential number. (I have ordered a change to a standalone DSL).

I believe one business number (335) just points to the main business number (286) as I don't have two seperate phones in the office, if a call comes in while I'm talking on one business line, call waiting kicks in and I put the first on hold and get the 2nd call. I get 2 seperate business phone bills 75.00 for the 286 number and 25. for the 335 number.

I do have a seperate phones for the residential number (463) and the business phone and the residential can be used at the same time.

I would be happy with the same situation via OOMA and want to keep all 3 of my existing numbers.
Right now I have ooma working on a seperate phone hardwired to the TELO with my new ooma phone number.

I realize I will need to port all 3 numbers over then release my new Ooma number.

I also don't care if the residential number (463) automatically goes right to voicemail, the business numbers are critical.
Can I solve my problem by buying the Ooma handset or do I need to buy a second Ooma?
Please advise.
Thank you very much I can not wait to tell ATT where to go.
#92827 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:18 pm
I think you have a few different options but here are a couple:

1 Get one Telo, subscribe to Premier, have it run 3 numbers (Premier can have 2 numbers; 3rd number will cost $4.99 extra a month), get a Telo handset and have 2 concurrent calls going on at the same time if needed. All numbers can be shared (meaning all numbers will ring all your phones) but you can assign distinct ring pattern for each number so you'd know what number is being called.

2 Get 2 Telos, 1 with only 1 number (no need for Premier). The other Telo with 2 numbers (Premier); again you can assign distinct ring patterns so you'd know what number is being called.

Porting will cost you $39.99 for each number but buying 1 year Premier will get you a free port.
#92850 by greggp
Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:59 pm
Thank you for answering: Lets take option 1

I don't really want to be bothered by the residential phone so I would like that to go to voice mail after 2 rings, but not the 2 business numbers. Am I able to seperate that or this that a universal setting?

The two business numbers I would want to operate in a call waiting fashion and not go to voicemail during business hours.

You said all the phones would ring at once with a different tone for each of the 3 numbers.

This is where I am still confused; Are you physically configuring the system via the all outlet method or with the home plug?

I do have 2 lines the residential number rings seperate from the business phones although the DSL comes from the office outlet it is billed on my residential bill. ( I am having the DSL changed to standalone) but again I'm confused.

So with the Ooma handset, can I put my 2 business numbers on it and physically connect my residential phone base to the telo? Then set just the residential phone number to go to voicemail after 2 rings and the not the business numbers?

Option 2 ( seems best)
How do you connect the 2 Telos?

Ok - Physically connect the residential phone base to one telo
- Physically connect business phone base to the 2nd telo , then what?
I can keep both phone bases in my office and just use wireless extenions for the residential phones.

Right now I have the telo "home network" outlet wired to my "2Wire DSL" and the Telo 'Internet" outlet wired to my computer which is connected to the internet via a wireless connection to the 2Wire DSL. and an extra phone wired to my Telo using my new Ooma telephone number and the phone works fine.

Would it work if i just connected the 2nd telo or the 1st one directly to the 2Wire DSL and had nothing connected to either the "Home Network" outlet or the other way around the "Home network " outlet wired to the DSL and nothing connected to the "Internet" outlet on one of the Telos?
Please advise
Thanks Gregg / thecarbonater@yahoo.com
#92890 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:49 pm
greggp wrote:Thank you for answering: Lets take option 1

I don't really want to be bothered by the residential phone so I would like that to go to voice mail after 2 rings, but not the 2 business numbers. Am I able to seperate that or this that a universal setting?

Yes, but you'd have to make a private device and configure vm pick up (a private device gets own my.ooma.com login).

greggp wrote:The two business numbers I would want to operate in a call waiting fashion and not go to voicemail during business hours.

You said all the phones would ring at once with a different tone for each of the 3 numbers.

This is where I am still confused; Are you physically configuring the system via the all outlet method or with the home plug?

If you intend to use regular phones with your business number (and not Telo handset). You can make the Telo a private device (plug your multiple handset base into Telo "phone" port) and assign both business numbers to it. You can leave the residential number as shared (but need at least 1 Telo handset). But in this configuration, the instant second line wouldn't work for for your business lines (since you are using regular phones connected to Telo for both numbers). Another configuration may work for you better; get 2 Telo handsets. Make 1 handset personal (for residential number), leave Telo and another handset shared (2 business lines). With the business lines, you would have a phone system connected to the Telo phone port and a Telo handset. If you are on either one of them, when another call comes, you'll still have another phone ring (either the Telo handset or regular phone, whichever one that is not tied up). You have options on how you want to set your system up. The thing to remember is you can have up to 5 personal devices (Telo, 4 Telo handsets); you can have more than 1 number to a personal device but 1 number can't ring more than 1 personal device.

You can go into https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers click on a phone number and define ring pattern.

greggp wrote:So with the Ooma handset, can I put my 2 business numbers on it and physically connect my residential phone base to the telo? Then set just the residential phone number to go to voicemail after 2 rings and the not the business numbers?

You can do this but you'd have to put 2 business numbers on 1 Telo handset (you have to define as personal device) and you can't have instant second line feature with this config on your business lines (I think business lines are where you need the instant second line the most). So best to do above; put your residential number on a personal Telo handset; have 2 business numbers shared (with Telo and another Telo handset) so you can use the instant second line feature. You'd have my.ooma.com account for the shared devices and another for your personal device. If you have more personal devices, you'd have that many more my.ooma.com accounts.

greggp wrote:Option 2 ( seems best)
How do you connect the 2 Telos?

Ok - Physically connect the residential phone base to one telo
- Physically connect business phone base to the 2nd telo , then what?
I can keep both phone bases in my office and just use wireless extenions for the residential phones.

Right now I have the telo "home network" outlet wired to my "2Wire DSL" and the Telo 'Internet" outlet wired to my computer which is connected to the internet via a wireless connection to the 2Wire DSL. and an extra phone wired to my Telo using my new Ooma telephone number and the phone works fine.

Would it work if i just connected the 2nd telo or the 1st one directly to the 2Wire DSL and had nothing connected to either the "Home Network" outlet or the other way around the "Home network " outlet wired to the DSL and nothing connected to the "Internet" outlet on one of the Telos?
Please advise
Thanks Gregg / thecarbonater@yahoo.com

I would get an inexpensive switch with multiple ports ($20+ or less) plug it into the DSL modem/router so you can plug in more than 1 Telo (I've never tried switch directly plugged into DSL modem/router with only 1 port but since your DSL device is a modem/router combo so this should work); if not, you'd need to get a router and plug into your DSL modem so you'd have more ports to connect your 2 Telos). If you get a router that has wifi, then you can turn your DSL device's wifi off. Another way without getting switch or router is to connect the 2 Telos in series (1 Telo's "To Internet" connected to the DSL modem, 2nd Telo's "To Internet" connected to the "Home Network" of 1st Telo). This would work but you'd have to change the IP address subnet of one of them from 172.27.35.x to 172.27.36.x.

Here are some links with info on how some of Ooma features work:

Personal Devices:
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/personal-devices

Personal Phone Number:
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/personal-phone-number

Custom Ring Patterns:
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/custom-ring-patterns

Instant Second Line (how you can have 2 concurrent calls going on at the same time with at least 1 Telo handset; for example, if you have 2 business phone lines shared with Telo and a Telo handset, you can be on 1 call on the phone(s) connected to the Telo phone port; when a 2nd call comes in on either one of the business numbers, the Telo handset would ring (you'd hear call waiting beep on the phone you are talking on as well); this works the other way too (when you are on the phone with the Telo handset, the regular phone connected to the Telo phone port would ring)):
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/instant-second-line

Switch Example:
http://amzn.com/B001BXNKZ2

Router Example:
http://amzn.com/B00006I5XC

Wireless Router Example (with WiFi):
http://amzn.com/B001F7HLRC