Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92732 by utalice
Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:41 pm
I just received my Ooma Telo today and plan on getting the Premier service after my free 30 day trial.

I want to port my old telephone number.
As for now, I went to my present, old phone provider (Time Warner Cable) and am forwarding all calls to my temporary Ooma telephone number.

I plan on paying for a year of Premier service all at once.
Should I port my number now, before I sign up for the paid Premier service? If I do, will I be charged $39.99?
If I sign up for the Premier service today, will I still get my free month of Premier before the paid account kicks in?
I've searched the site, but I cannot find any information on whether or not I would still get a free month of Premier if I sign up for it before my 30 days is up.

Thanks.
#92733 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:44 pm
If you buy the annual premier now, it would start after your free trial is over.

If you port your number right now without buying annual Premier, you'd be charged $39.99 but would be refunded to you if you buy annual Premier before the trial ends.
#92748 by utalice
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm
If you buy the annual premier now, it would start after your free trial is over.

If you port your number right now without buying annual Premier, you'd be charged $39.99 but would be refunded to you if you buy annual Premier before the trial ends.

Thank you for the response. :)

I'm not so sure that I trust Ooma to return the charge ...as when I bought the unit, I did it thru the "Refer a Friend" promotion and was supposed to get the Ooma Telo + bluetooth both for $189.00. I immediately saw two charges on my credit card, one for the "verification process" of $10 (not sure why they don't just charge a $1 instead of $10 like most places do) and the other for $199.00. I telephoned customer support and spoke to a representative (who sounded Indian). I asked why I was charged $199 instead of $189, as my receipt stated I was charged $189. Her answer was, "...because that's how we do it. It's a promotion", which made no sense to me. They have, since then, returned my $10 verification check, but have not given me the discount for the promotion.

Have you (or anyone else reading this) had the porting fee actually refunded (not given credit or some other way of returning the money) to their credit card?
Also, if anyone else reading this has used the same promotion (Refer a Friend) that I did, were you returned the extra $10 they charged on top of the promotional purchase price?

Thanks for the help.
#92756 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:47 pm
I'll wait for folks to chime in here as requested but you can trust Ooma. Believe me, Ooma is upright. They'll do you no wrong.
#92762 by EX Bell
Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm
Not to worry. Same situation as you. I bought Premier at a discounted price that was offered to me before my trial ended. If I look in my profile online now, it shows that I have Premier and it will begin on the day my trial period ends which is March 17. I am in the middle stage of porting my number as I write this. I was only billed for the Premier service, not the number porting as they promised. In fact, the charge has not appeared on my credit card and I do not expect it to until March 17. It's all done fairly and they're on the up and up.

You say you did get the $10 back right? So you did get your Telo and Bluetooth adapter for $189 right? Is that before tax?
You know some of us pay anywhere from $199 to $249 before tax just for the Telo. Ooma normally values the Telo and Bluetooth adapter combo direct from them at $229.98. I bought my Telo only (no Bluetooth adapter) from Costo Canada for $199 before tax. Tax in Ontario is 13% for retail products, so mine was $224.87. You did get a good deal.

If you still don't trust them, well maybe you shouldn't be using their service? I'm not trying to be rude, but they will have your credit card number, and logs of everyone you call and everyone who calls you, just like every other local phone service provider has. Just my two bits. Enjoy your Ooma Telo, I know I really am so far.
#92766 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:39 pm
EX Bell wrote:I was only billed for the Premier service, not the number porting as they promised. In fact, the charge has not appeared on my credit card and I do not expect it to until March 17.

I believe the charge for annual Premier would be immediate. The 1 year period would start after free Premier trial ends but the charge gets on as soon as you buy it.
#92767 by utalice
Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:50 pm
If you still don't trust them, well maybe you shouldn't be using their service? I'm not trying to be rude, but they will have your credit card number, and logs of everyone you call and everyone who calls you, just like every other local phone service provider has. Just my two bits. Enjoy your Ooma Telo, I know I really am so far.

If I were not able to trust someone to handle my telephone account, that would make me quite paranoid, now wouldn't it? ;)
Misuse of private information (phone records), especially credit card information, relates to crime and I didn't suggest any such thing, so that's irrelevant. I'm just wondering why I didn't get the deal I was told I would get. I'm frugal and a comparison shopper and the phone was on sale at Buy.com for $189 + free shipping (and still is), so if I would have gotten a better deal at Buy.com. I would have bought it from there instead of directly from Ooma.

When it comes to my money (especially when trying to save, which is why I am going with Ooma to begin with), the promise of a discount (and the trouble I had to go thru to get it by searching the Internet for a deal and comparing prices) and am overcharged ...$10 over what my *receipt stated* and it's been over a week now that I was told it would be fixed (and it hasn't been), then it causes me to regret my decision and mistrust the business who told me that I would receive a discount but they didnt follow thru.

Isn't that how most pertinent people would reason in this particular situation?
#92770 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:16 pm
If actual charges on your credit card are wrong, try contacting sales:

Email: sales@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-866-452-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST
Saturday-Sunday closed
#92771 by utalice
Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm
If actual charges on your credit card are wrong, try contacting sales:

Email: sales@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-866-452-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST
Saturday-Sunday closed

Thanks for the info., I'll try that. :)
I did already call customer service before and posted what I was told, but maybe this will help. I'll let you know what they have to say.