Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92523 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:31 pm
I am sure a lot of you have seen Ooma's Homeplugs (Powerline Ethernet Adapters) page before....good for wanting to setup Ooma away from router/modem.

But, that was before the Ooma Wireless Adapter (Telo Air), it seems Telo Air is the way to go for setting up a Telo away from router/modem (given you have WiFi signal where you want your Telo; signal doesn't have to be exceptional because Ooma VoIP doesn't require much bandwidth).

But if you have a Hub, Homeplugs may still be a good solution outside of setting up a Wireless Bridge (Telo Air doesn't work with Hub).

Well, Wireless Bridge is how I used to setup my TV related equipements (including a NetTop) so I can stream movies etc.
Where my TV is, WiFi signal (for whatever reason) just doesn't reach very good so I have been dealing with 25% of internet throughput (4 Mbps vs 16 Mbps download and a lot more latency, I am sure). I've tried a few things with Wireless repeaters & extenders but never was able to improve my numbers much.

Then, I gave Homeplug a try. Boy, am I glad that I did (I was one of them "yuck, wired network is so old fashioned!!" dudes). My TV is getting every bit of my ISP bandwidth now (download & upload speed is the same via Homeplug as direct connection to modem/router). I got one of them cheaper 200 Mbps models too (D-Link); you can get 500 Mbps models too but I figured I didn't need it since I am only doing internet download/upload and my current ISP speed is only at 16 Mbps. If you need more than 1 ethernet port by your TV, you can get a cheap switch (I got an inexpensive Gigabit ZyXEL). Now, my TV setup works like a Champ!

Wanted to share my Homeplug adventure. Getting rid of my bridges and extender on eBay soon :)

BTW, don't forget about Valentine's day just around the corner. Consider yourself warned; remember to get some cashback too (see my signature) FTD.com (7%), FromYouFlowers.com (14%), ProFlowers.com (7%), GiftBaskets.com (8.4%), See's Candies (5.6%), 1-800-flowers.com (4.2%), 1-800-baskets.com (9.1%)
#92552 by WayneDsr
Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:12 am
Does the unit have to be on the same circuit (breaker) or can it work on different circuits throughout the same house?
Thanks

Wayne
#92568 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:27 pm
My house is about 10 years old, lots of breakers but it works every outlet including the bathrooms.
#92575 by highq
Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:59 pm
lbmofo wrote:My house is about 10 years old, lots of breakers but it works every outlet including the bathrooms.


I don't think the number of breakers is important, but they do need to be on the same leg of the incoming power supply, so that there is a direct electrical path between the hotplugs.

Have a look at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... sehld.html. If one of the devices traces to "hot #1" and the other to "hot #2", 't'won't work...
.
#92577 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:37 pm
It works on every outlet for me. Even tried the laundry room.
#92586 by EX Bell
Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:09 pm
Not a bad price for the Ooma wireless adapter, but then you have that adapter protruding from the back of your nicely designed Telo. You should also ask yourself if you really want to add wireless as an additional item to the list of possible causes when troubleshooting issues. I personally don't mind if my internet drops momentarily on my other devices due to interference (it happens even to the best wireless networks), but I don't want it to be the cause or related to dropped phone calls.

When I bought my Telo, I already owned a set of Belkin Homeplug Powerline adapters I've been using for years with flawless results. I retired the additional router they were serving when I bought my Telo, and they work great with it. My Telo is setup behind my router, not in between the modem and router. Works perfectly so far.

The Homeplug adapters cost the same as the WiFi adapter, but you get to keep the installation looking clean and you don't have to sacrifice the USB port on the back of the Telo. That way if you want to later add the Bluetooth adapter or some other not yet developed USB add-on, the port will be available. Here's a D-Link version for a reasonable price.

By the way, the Ooma FAQ about Homeplug adapters says they don't work with surge protectors and while that is correct, you shouldn't be concerned about voltage spikes entering your Telo through the ethernet cable from a Homeplug adapter. The Homeplug Powerline adapters have their own surge protection built in. However, you should always plug the power adapter for your Telo into either a surge protector or a UPS.
#92589 by thunderbird
Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:14 am
EX Bell wrote:The Homeplug adapters cost the same as the WiFi adapter, but you get to keep the installation looking clean and you don't have to sacrifice the USB port on the back of the Telo. That way if you want to later add the Bluetooth adapter or some other not yet developed USB add-on, the port will be available. Here's a D-Link version for a reasonable price.

Just a note of information:
By adding a USB hub, you may use both the Bluetooth adapter and the Ooma USB Wireless Wi-Fi adapter at the same time with the Ooma Telo. When using an External Powered USB hub, the Bluetooth range is also increased.
#92594 by EX Bell
Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:07 am
Good point thunderbird. You could keep your installation clean by concealing the WiFi adapter without adversely effecting the range and thats good info that it boosts your bluetooth range as well. I wonder if a powered hub also helps WiFi range?

I often forget about using USB hubs. I'm personally not a fan of them because of occasions where I've had performance and compatibility issues. You have to find a reliable one and it can be a frustrating processes. At least that has been my experience. I no longer rely on USB hubs for critical data as a result. I guess you could say, I'm soured on USB. It tends to over promise and underperform, where as Homeplug has been 100% reliable. Its performance can vary depending on your house wiring and which version of Homeplug you're using, but it has not failed to create a reliable network connection in my experience.
#92597 by thunderbird
Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:24 am
EX Bell wrote:Good point thunderbird. You could keep your installation clean by concealing the WiFi adapter without adversely effecting the range and thats good info that it boosts your bluetooth range as well. I wonder if a powered hub also helps WiFi range?

I often forget about using USB hubs. I'm personally not a fan of them because of occasions where I've had performance and compatibility issues. You have to find a reliable one and it can be a frustrating processes. At least that has been my experience. I no longer rely on USB hubs for critical data as a result. I guess you could say, I'm soured on USB. It tends to over promise and underperform, where as Homeplug has been 100% reliable. Its performance can vary depending on your house wiring and which version of Homeplug you're using, but it has not failed to create a reliable network connection in my experience.

Wi-Fi range increase doesn't seem to be noticeable. The Bluetooth range increase does seem to be noticeable.

Murphy suggested that I purchase a USB hub that was powered. I purchased a USB hub that was powered, and one that had a long USB cable so that it could be located a fair distance away from the Ooma Telo. Although I didn't need them, but I purchased a USB hub that had ten USB outlets. I put the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi dongle at one end of the USB hub strip, and the Ooma Bluetooth adapter at the other end. It works great.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests