Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92393 by jmpage2
Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 pm
Hi all,

I've been an Ooma Premier subscriber for quite a long time (about 3 yrs now I think). I have always used my hub and scout for my primary number and have really never had a use for my second number. I purchased a second scout and want to set it up so that it only rings for my second number, and not for the primary number (and I also don't want my 'primary' pair of devices to ring for the secondary number).

I can't seem to accomplish this.

I have gone in and added the new scout as a "personal device" and have had some trouble entering the serial number (it keeps complaining that the serial number is in a certain range and has to be modified to work, also the serial number on the label is a bit difficult to figure out from the font used in the labeling)... but I think I have it in correctly.

I have associated my 2nd number with this Scout.

However, when calls come in to the main number, they also ring this new second scout.

Is there any way to do what I want to accomplish? The reason I don't want the new second scout to ring for the main number is that I will be connecting it to my all-in-one Fax machine and will be programming it to answer on the 1st ring. This does me no good if it answers my main calls to the Fax.

Also, after messing around with this stuff for a bit my account seems to be stuffed and I have had to email Ooma support to try to get it sorted out. When I click the "forwarding" section on my account I now get a "service temporarily unavailable" Ooma message.
#92394 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 pm
You may have a Scout that's got a bad label. No worries. You can delete the personal device created and then try again using the pre-existing Scout and see. For the changes to take effect, you'd have to wait 5+ minutes. Once personal device created, you can login to the personal's device's own my.ooma.com. If you can't after 5 min, you can go into your main account, click on the personal device and re-specify password and that should allow you to login to your personal device my.ooma.com account.
#92401 by murphy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am
jmpage2 wrote:Thanks for the response, once I get this configured properly can I get the desired behavior, main line rings the main hub and scout and 2nd line rings just on the 2nd scout?

Yes.
#92402 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 am
jmpage2 wrote:Thanks for the response, once I get this configured properly can I get the desired behavior, main line rings the main hub and scout and 2nd line rings just on the 2nd scout?

Perhaps the first time around, when you set it up, you didn't wait long enough (5 min) to check if behavior is what you expect.
#92405 by jmpage2
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 pm
It's still not working (over 12+ hours later).

I suspect that I am not entering the serial number on the scout properly as the digits/numbers are very difficult to make out. Is there any other way of retrieving the serial # from the device?

It also doesn't help when the serial of the Scout falls into a range where the "real" serial # is not correct on the label.
#92407 by murphy
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:20 pm
Did you try your other Scout as the personal device?
There was a batch of Scouts shipped with the wrong serial number on the label.
The only way around that is to call customer support and ask them what the serial number is of the Scouts connected to your system.

You only use the digits in the rectangular box for this setup.
#92410 by jmpage2
Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:45 pm
I called customer service and with me on the phone she asked me to plug the 2nd scout in, then said she had configured it for the 2nd line.

However, 5+ minutes later it still doesn't ring correctly and it still does not show up as a separate device on the "My Ooma" status page for my two numbers.

I suppose I will wait another 30 or so minutes and if it still does not work I will call them back. I asked her what the serial # of the unit actually was, but she would not provide it.
#92412 by jmpage2
Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 pm
Okay looks like they have it working now exactly as I would like, hats off to Ooma technical support. I do notice that the scout does not show up with the second line in My Ooma dashboard and settings, not sure if I need to worry about that or not as long as it's working.