Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92380 by LeeM
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:04 pm
Guys, I could use some help. I've set up my Ooma Telo and am having what sounds like a delay, but I am wondering if it is because I am hooked directly to the LAN port and not the WAN port. I tried going through the WAN and hooking my Airport through the Telo but that did not give me a dial tone.

Made a test call and I'm assuming based on the results that I have what's being referred to as a half-duplex connection. I'm not sure what to do next and admittedly am not entirely computer savvy. Any help would be appreciated, the more elementary the better.

Thank you!
#92381 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:33 pm
LeeM wrote:Guys, I could use some help. I've set up my Ooma Telo and am having what sounds like a delay, but I am wondering if it is because I am hooked directly to the LAN port and not the WAN port. I tried going through the WAN and hooking my Airport through the Telo but that did not give me a dial tone.

Made a test call and I'm assuming based on the results that I have what's being referred to as a half-duplex connection. I'm not sure what to do next and admittedly am not entirely computer savvy. Any help would be appreciated, the more elementary the better.

Thank you!

If you are experiencing a half duplex connection, usually you have to also wait for the other person to stop talking before you can talk.
Reboot your Modem, then check to see if the delay at least temporarily goes away, by make calls.
#92385 by LeeM
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:42 pm
the delay is about a second on both ends. I find myself just starting to talk over the other person and they have a slight delay in me finishing too. I tested it on a call to an outside party and one to my wife on her cell phone in the other room and I could hear her talk in the other room before I heard it over the phone.

so, will the fact that I am plugged into the Airport's LAN port cause this? I'm concerned that my being in the wrong port could be the issue, but don't know how to make it work out of the WAN port.

secondly, how do I reboot my modem.... just unplug everything?
#92388 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:58 pm
LeeM wrote:the delay is about a second on both ends. I find myself just starting to talk over the other person and they have a slight delay in me finishing too. I tested it on a call to an outside party and one to my wife on her cell phone in the other room and I could hear her talk in the other room before I heard it over the phone.

so, will the fact that I am plugged into the Airport's LAN port cause this? I'm concerned that my being in the wrong port could be the issue, but don't know how to make it work out of the WAN port.

Connecting from of the Airport router LAN ports, to the Ooma Telo Internet port, with a network cable, is the normal way to connect Modem-Router-Ooma.

LeeM wrote:secondly, how do I reboot my modem.... just unplug everything?

Reboot means remove power (from the Modem). Then repower (the Modem).

If someone suggests that you reboot every thing, you always reboot in the order that every thing is connected, starting from the Internet side. For example, for a Modem-Router-Ooma connection, you would remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma device. Then you would repower the Modem first. After the Modem finishes booting, the Router would be repowered next. After the Router is done booting, the Ooma is repowered. If you were to move the Ooma device to between the Modem and Router, after removing power, you would repower the Modem, then the Ooma Telo, then the Router. The repowering is always done in that order, starting from the Internet side so that the IP addresses are loaded properly.

But in this case you only have to remove power from the Modem, and then repower the Modem.