Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92190 by ed j
Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 pm
Hi - I just purchased Ooma thru Costco, got it all setup (2wire Modem->the latest Airport Time Capsule->Ooma Telo Wi-Fi). It works fine when I'm sitting close to the the cradle of the telephone base station. My problem relates to the fact that when I use Airtunes to broadcast music throughout my home, the sound quality gets VERY choppy for the person listening on the other end when I walk further away from the telephone base station. Also, I've tested and confirmed that the sound quality only degrades when Airtunes is broadcasted to the three remote Airport Expresses (all set up in the "Join a Wireless Network Mode" to replicate the music simultaneously). Hence, I do not seem to have issues when music is not be transmitted across the network.

I've contacted the help desk, done the "Built in" MAC thing and optimized my set-up based on their commentary. However, I continue to have issues.

Any ideas?
#92196 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:17 am
ed j wrote:Hi - I just purchased Ooma thru Costco, got it all setup (2wire Modem->the latest Airport Time Capsule->Ooma Telo Wi-Fi). It works fine when I'm sitting close to the the cradle of the telephone base station. My problem relates to the fact that when I use Airtunes to broadcast music throughout my home, the sound quality gets VERY choppy for the person listening on the other end when I walk further away from the telephone base station. Also, I've tested and confirmed that the sound quality only degrades when Airtunes is broadcasted to the three remote Airport Expresses (all set up in the "Join a Wireless Network Mode" to replicate the music simultaneously). Hence, I do not seem to have issues when music is not be transmitted across the network.

I've contacted the help desk, done the "Built in" MAC thing and optimized my set-up based on their commentary. However, I continue to have issues.

Any ideas?

If your Ooma is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab and set Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds to about 80 percent of the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest . Click on Update device located at the bottom of the page and test.

Next if that doesn't work, temporarily connect your home LAN setup Modem-Router-Ooma and test. For that setup Ooma suggests that you set Quality of Service settings both to Zero. Then test.
#92204 by ed j
Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:57 am
Thanks for the response... I will test this when I return home this evening. My set-up is 2WireModem-TimeCapsule-Ooma, just to clarify.

I'm just guessing that my 5.8 ghz cordless phones are getting interference from my Apple Time Capsule when Airtunes is broadcasting music across the network to the remote Airport Expresses. Oddly, I can sit by the phone's base station when the music is playing with zero interference, but the calls get choppy as I move away from the phone base station. Otherwise, if the music is not playing, I can walk anywhere in the home and have normal POTS-line call quality.

Note: The Time Capsule, OOMA box & phone's base station are all within four feet of each other, clustered around my 2Wire Modem.

I don't mind buying Dect 6.0 phones or a second router if this would definitely solve the problem. I understand if this is just too much equipment clustered together. However, I would prefer to try to make my current set-up work before doing so.

As always, I appreciate any input others may have - Your ideas are greatly appreciated. And, I'm SOOOOOO looking forward to cancelling my service with AT&T !!!!
#92209 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:50 pm
ed j:
Most routers have a normal automatic setting for Wi-Fi frequencies. But you can manually choose different Wi-Fi frequencies from a list.
Go into the TimeCapsule and check and see of you can change the Wi-Fi frequency from automatic to one of the listed frequencies, then test. If that doesn’t help, change to another frequency and so on testing each time.
#92220 by ed j
Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:57 am
Problem Solved !!! I purchased a set of Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phones which operate on an entirely different frequency than my Time Capsule. The 4 phones with a built-in answering machine cost $89.99 plus Chicago taxes. The phone set included Link-to-Cell technology with eliminated the need for a $30 bluetooth adapter from Ooma (sorry, not trying to cut you out of a sale). My old phones were six years old, so it was probably time for them to go.

I have tested my Ooma device extensively with the new Panasonic (model KX-TG7621) and have experienced zero interference either with OR without Airtunes broadcasting from my Time Capsule to my three Airport Express. Additionally, the Bluetooth functionality works great.

Note: I considered making adjustments to my router, but I live in a densely populated part of Chicago... I can see ten wireless networks when trying to find an internet connection. Since everyone is constantly jockeying to reduce interference, I needed a permanent solution. So, I purchased the DECT 6.0 cordless phones which operate on a frequency that can never interfere with my Time Capsule.

Thanks for your responses. I hope that my posting is beneficial to other Ooma fans !!!