Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#92111 by rds4640
Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:10 pm
Hi. New user trying to setup the wifi dongle and I'm running into a security issue. It won't let me use any security (WPA2, WPA) but works fine with no security. Anyone else run into this? Everything else works fine.
Setup is:
Linksys E3000 router with Tomato V1.28
#92115 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:36 pm
rds4640 wrote:Hi. New user trying to setup the wifi dongle and I'm running into a security issue. It won't let me use any security (WPA2, WPA) but works fine with no security. Anyone else run into this? Everything else works fine.
Setup is:
Linksys E3000 router with Tomato V1.28

I use WPA TKIP and AFS in a Cradlepoint MBR1200 Router, and it works fine.
#92117 by rds4640
Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:39 pm
WPA2 AES security is more secure and and the preferred wifi security. That is why I'm asking. I've tried on two different routers and no luck.
#92125 by rds4640
Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:37 pm
Figured it out. Normally you can have special characters in your SSID. I had an apostrophe in my SSID. The weird thing is it didn't mind the name as long as security was off.
#92127 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:40 pm
rds4640 wrote:Figured it out. Normally you can have special characters in your SSID. I had an apostrophe in my SSID. The weird thing is it didn't mind the name as long as security was off.

This problem was supposed to be fixed a long time ago, but I guess it hasn't been. If you could find time, send Ooma Customer support with the problem that you had and how you resolved it.
#92129 by rds4640
Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm
thunderbird wrote:
rds4640 wrote:Figured it out. Normally you can have special characters in your SSID. I had an apostrophe in my SSID. The weird thing is it didn't mind the name as long as security was off.

This problem was supposed to be fixed a long time ago, but I guess it hasn't been. If you could find time, send Ooma Customer support with the problem that you had and how you resolved it.

I just talked to them to close out my case. Just as a side note I thought the previous problem was with special characters in the password not the SSID.
#92135 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:15 pm
rds4640 wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

I just talked to them to close out my case. Just as a side note I thought the previous problem was with special characters in the password not the SSID.

I looked it up and in the beginning the problem was with Spaces and Special Characters in the SSID. That problem was to be corrected early on.