Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#91555 by krawfo
Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 am
I've been using OOMA for several years with no problems. Yesterday I installed a new router and can't get OOMA to connect. I'm using the MODEM->ROUTER->OOMA protocol with my ethernet cable plugged into the TO INTERNET jack on OOMA. All I get is the flashing red light. I take the same cable and plub it into my laptop and I'm on the Internet with no problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.
#91556 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:41 am
krawfo wrote:I've been using OOMA for several years with no problems. Yesterday I installed a new router and can't get OOMA to connect. I'm using the MODEM->ROUTER->OOMA protocol with my ethernet cable plugged into the TO INTERNET jack on OOMA. All I get is the flashing red light. I take the same cable and plub it into my laptop and I'm on the Internet with no problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Connect your Ooma Telo Modem-Router-Ooma. Temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to the Wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi; If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem done booting, Repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo and allow it to boot as far as it will boot. Reboot the computer. Access Ooma setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window (Firefox seems to work best). The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on the Internet tab at the upper left side of window. Following Network Connections: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device below. Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem done booting, Repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.
#99326 by isiddiqi
Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 pm
Any update here? I have the exact same problem.

I am using my current router with the Telo and the Telo connects just fine. Now when I try to connect the Telo to any of my other two routers, one Belkin and the other ASUS, its like the Router doesn't even see the Telo. The "TO INTERNET" port lights, green and orange, don't even light up when the other two routers are hooked up to the Telo, but my first router still connects and the two lights do come on right away. My connection is Modem-->Router-->Ooma.

When using the two routers I can also get to Internet with no issue, only Telo is not getting picked up and just plays dead there. Also have tried using different Ethernet cables here as well.
#99327 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 am
isiddiqi wrote:Any update here? I have the exact same problem.

I am using my current router with the Telo and the Telo connects just fine. Now when I try to connect the Telo to any of my other two routers, one Belkin and the other ASUS, its like the Router doesn't even see the Telo. The "TO INTERNET" port lights, green and orange, don't even light up when the other two routers are hooked up to the Telo, but my first router still connects and the two lights do come on right away. My connection is Modem-->Router-->Ooma.

When using the two routers I can also get to Internet with no issue, only Telo is not getting picked up and just plays dead there. Also have tried using different Ethernet cables here as well.

On the Ooma Setup Internet Settings page, set the connection type to Automatic by clicking on the down arrow following the words Connection type:, then go to the bottom of the page and click on the Update device button. Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma device. Connect the Router that you want to use. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.

Then try your other routers.
#99340 by isiddiqi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:21 am
Thanks for the response. Just tried that with no success. Anything else that can be tried. Its wierd I have never seen this kind of behavior before by a device.
#99341 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 am
I'm sitting here with a blank stare on my face. Do the other 2 routers have DHCP enabled?
For some reason your routers are not issuing an IP to the telo.

Wayne
#99342 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:47 am
isiddiqi wrote:Thanks for the response. Just tried that with no success. Anything else that can be tried.
Its wierd I have never seen this kind of behavior before by a device.

Go into the router that you want the Ooma Telo to connect to and obtain an IP address to assign to the Omoa Telo.

On the Ooma Setup Internet Settings page, set the connection type to Static IP address by clicking on the down arrow following the words Connection type: . Under Static IP Address Options: enter the IP address that you obtained from the router that you want to connect the Ooma Telo to.
Fill in the Netmask: blanks (should be 255.255.255.0)
Fill in the DNS Server 1: & Router Address: (both are the same number) The first three sets of numbers will be the same as the first three sets of the number you chose from the router for the Ooma Telo static IP address. for the last number block, the number in the last block will be 1
DNS Server 2 (do nothing)

Go to the bottom of the page and click on the Update device button. Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma device. Connect the Router that you want to use. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device.

When you change from one router to another, you will have to do the same procedure again, or change the Ooma Telo Connection Type: back to Automatic, with a restart before you can connect.
#99343 by murphy
Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:54 am
Try a crossover cable.
That's what the port lights not turning on indicate to me.
If those routers are old enough they won't have auto-configuring LAN ports.

I guess I need to test a Telo to see if it's WAN port is auto-configuring.
First I have to remember where I stashed an old 10 mbps hub (yes it's really a hub and not a switch) that I know for sure does not have auto-configuring ports.
#99344 by isiddiqi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 am
Thanks all for responding. Both the routers have DHCP enabled when tried separately, and all of my other computers connect okay both wirelessly as well as wired. Atleast one router, the one I am anxiously trying to replace my existing Apple Extreme, is ASUS RT-N66U, a fairly latest model.

Thunderbird,
I had already tried using the static IP assigned to the "Built-in" MAC address in the router, and changing the setting as you suggested in the Telo. The problem is that when I hook the Telo to the ASUS, I don't see the LAN light lighting up on ASUS neither do I see any lights lighting up on the Telo's "To Internet" port. Its like the Telo has no knowledge of the router and the router has no knowledge of Telo.

murphy,
I shall try using a crossover cable soon, I think I have one somewhere in the house, but it would be shocking if that works and why Airport Extreme had no issue finding the Telo and connecting to it while ASUS would struggle.

Its very confusing... :(
#99345 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 am
isiddiqi:
A test for the Routers that won't allow the Ooma Telo to connect.

For this test Wi-Fi must be temporarily turned off in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer.

Using a network cable, can you connect the network cable from a router LAN port, to the wired LAN port of the computer, reboot the computer, and then navigate to Google with the computer browser?