Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#91536 by razoruk
Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:25 pm
Hello all, I'm actually a long time user of ooma (I am grandfathered in on the old stuff) and have after months of trying finally managed to get my wife to cut the landline. So I have that done :D

My next challenge is to get the house wired properly. I am also still using the DSL line, so I know that complicates things a bit!

I have been reading through all the posts here and have looked at some of the stuff, but I have some odd wiring (from my perspective)

Hopefully you guys can help me figure out this rats nest and get it working throughout the house so that I can get the Scout hooked up and use the 2nd line (and more importantly only ring to one place in the house - My kids get more calls than me!)

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (130.46 KiB) Viewed 3251 times

Thanks for any help you can offer,
#91539 by southsound
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 pm
Not to difficult, actually. Looks like you have three cables running from the NIB. One is the older "quad" cable with red, green, black and yellow. This cable is not twisted and can easily introduce hum or other interference. The other two contain multiple pairs that are twisted. It looks like only the white/blue pair is connected on both.

Now do some detective work... take the wall plates off where you want to use the jacks for phones and the scout and also take off the plate where the DSL modem is connected. My guess is that the modem is one one of the new cables. If that is the case, then you may want to move the modem's wiring to the white/blue pair - both at the NIB and at the place where the modem connects.

The DSL modem signal is coming in on the wires connected to the upper jack in the box and is now feeding both white/blue pairs and the red/green pair. Before connecting up the white/orange pair, disconnect the wires that are now there (including the red/green ones) and use scotchlock connectors (available at Lowes or Home Depot) to reconnect the two white/blue wires to the green one and the two blue/white wires to the red one. These connectors are gel filled and prevent corrosion down the road. You can twist and tape on a temporary basis until you get to the store.

Now, back at the place where the modem is, connect up another jack to the white/orange pair. This will feed the DSL signal to your modem. While you are at the store, you can pick up a nice dual jack wall plate so you don't have things hanging off in the air. The modem connects up to the jack that is on the white/orange pair. The hub's wall jack connects to the wall plate that has the white/blue wiring. If you want the option of plugging in either a phone (for the first line) or a scout (for the second line) you can use a single line splitter to combine the wall and phone ports before connecting to the wall plate.

There is a chance that your scout may not like the old quad wiring - if that is the case, we can also do some creative stuff by keeping the scout next to the hub and distributing the scout's dial tone using a spare pair of wires in your cables. Let us know if you have problems and we'll help you through them. :cool:

<< almost forgot >> There is a lot of talk about unplugging cables at the NIB when you use ooma. Since you have DSL this does not apply to your situation. if you unplug the upper cable, you will lose your DSL. :shock:
#91545 by razoruk
Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:46 pm
First thanks for the help, I was hoping you'd reply from the posts I'd read on the forum so far :cool:

Okay these are pictures of where my DSL is connected in the office. You were right, blue and white are in here!

Off to take a couple of pictures of where I'd like to use the scout
Attachments
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG (93.23 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (96.22 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
#91546 by razoruk
Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:58 pm
This is what I have down where I would ideally like to hook the scout upto, on a dual jack setup there.
Attachments
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (105.43 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
#91549 by southsound
Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:35 pm
Great job on the photos. And it is just like I expected so my advice about moving the modem wiring to the white/orange pair and connecting the remaining active wires using two scotchlock connectors will work fine. After connecting this way, try the scout. If it works, wonderful.

If not, we can have you put the scout next to the hub and add a 3rd jack where the modem is. This one would be connected to the white/green pair and fed by a cable from the scout PHONE port. Another cable would connect the hub and scout WALL jacks. No splitter needed as you don't want the signal on the main house wiring. Then, at the NIB, connect up the white/green pairs to the black/yellow pairs just as you did for the white/blue and red/green pairs. That will feed your scout (second number) dial tone to the black/yellow jack on your dual plate in the kid's room. They can also use the first jack (white/blue pair) if they want access to the "adult" number.
#91551 by razoruk
Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm
Ok, trip to lowes tomorrow morning, then I will get cracking on making this happen.

Thanks again for all your help so far, fingers crossed we will have it ready to go tomorrow!
#91590 by razoruk
Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:47 pm
Juat wanted to say I am behind on this project, had some honey do's, I aim to deal with it this weekend. H ave all the parts, it's just dark and cold by the time I get home:D
#91802 by razoruk
Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm
Woohoo!

I have it working. Southsand thank you so much for your help, once you showed me the way it all started to make sense, even when it didn't work initially with the orange cables I just took a deep breath and went and started tracing from the line into the office all the way out, and what would you know it was daisy chained into one in the living room, so I used the awesome connectors you recommended there and it all started to work.

I have only the orange / white and white / orange connected at the NIB. I disconnected the yellow and black ones as well. I have everything wired nicely at the nib now, except the old yellow and black ones. Would you just leave those two disconnected or would you connect them with the white green pair, or just coonect them together?

Again many thanks for your help, with the great instructions I was able to work out my last remaining problems(except what to do with Yellow and black)!
#91820 by southsound
Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 pm
Glad that it is working well for you! I'd just leave the yellow/black alone and use them if you ever need a second set to the jack where they terminate.