Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#91517 by gflu
Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:33 pm
I am trying to connect Ooma Telo on my Qwest DSL (now Centurylink - whatever). I have the 7 Mb service, and I'm keeping the land line. I'm not trying to port the number.

I have the Telo connected directly to the Qwest Q100 DSL Modem. I can confirm the Qwest DSL Modem is providing Internet service. (When I connect my PC to the modem via ethernet port on the modem it's getting 11Mbps).

Modem is a Q100. No wireless. No routing, just has one Ethernet port on the back. About as basic as they come.

So I connect the Telo directly to the Modem into the "To Internet" Port on the Telo and boot it up. I get solid blue lights on 1, 2, Trash, Mail. Never connects to Ooma, cause the Ooma logo never lights up.

Called Ooma. They confirmed that the MAC address on the Telo is activated and my account is good to go.

This is the simplest configuration I can think of (Modem to Telo, no router). Firewall settings turned off on Modem (I know, not a good practice, but I'm troubleshooting here, give me a break).

To Internet port on the Telo shows activity (Amber light, and occasional flash of green light)
Home Network port on Telo is live and when I connect my PC to it, I get a DHCP address. So the Telo DHCP server is working at least, but no internet connection of course. Puts out a DHCP address with no internet access.

Has anyone else had this problem? Hoping some Networking genius out there knows of something goofy in the Qwest DSL Advanced config that I can fix that will allow the Telo to connect back to the mothership.

How can I troubleshoot the Telo itself? Wondering if I should take it to a friends house, perhaps a non-qwest household, plug it in and see if it connects there?

I should also mention that this is a "Reactivation" of a working telo I turned off over a year ago. Left town for a long time, turned it all off, and deactivated. It is now reactivated at Ooma, they have confirmed, but she won't connect.
#91520 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm
Did you choose to use your own number with Ooma? If so, you need to feed the landline dialtone to the "wall" port of Ooma device. If not, did you power off everything and power back up in sequence? Turn on modem first, wait until it comes online then Ooma?
#91524 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:50 pm
gflu:
First:
Make sure your My Ooma credit card date hasn’t expired. It won't connect if your credit card information is out of date.

Next:
If you have a router, you could connect Modem-Router-Ooma and the Ooma Telo should start working after you reboot the Modem first, then the Router, then the Ooma Telo.

If you haven't connected your Ooma Telo for some time, you may have to wait a while for the firmware updates to take place.

OR

For a Modem-Ooma-Computer connection:
Is your Qwest DSL or Centurylink DSL a PPPoE connection that also requires a Name and Password? If so after allowing the Ooma Telo to boot as far as it will boot, you may have to access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in you computer browser window (Firefox seems to work best). The Ooma Setup pages opens.
Then click on the Internet tab at the left, then click on the down arrow to the right of Connection Type and select PPPoE. Then add the Name, Password, and Service Name (Service name may or may not be required) in the optional blank. The Service Name is the Name of your Internet provider. You may have to contact the Internet provider to get the exact correct Service name. Then click on Update Device. Reboot the Modem and then reboot the Ooma device.