Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#91472 by Leeway
Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:07 pm
I'm painting my bedroom. I have a phone wall jack that I'd like to eliminate altogether in there. I wish it had never been put there.

I have my whole house jacks activated
I'm not using the phone jack in the bedroom
Never will

If I undo the wiring from the back of the plate and shove the wires into the wall and cover it with a blank plate, will it upset any of the other jacks being daisy-chained?

I have my Ooma base in the kitchen plugged into the phone jack and I don't want to loose that ability.

Thanks, Donna
#91476 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 pm
Leeway wrote:I'm painting my bedroom. I have a phone wall jack that I'd like to eliminate altogether in there. I wish it had never been put there.

I have my whole house jacks activated
I'm not using the phone jack in the bedroom
Never will

If I undo the wiring from the back of the plate and shove the wires into the wall and cover it with a blank plate, will it upset any of the other jacks being daisy-chained?

I have my Ooma base in the kitchen plugged into the phone jack and I don't want to loose that ability.

Thanks, Donna

When you remove the phone jack from the wall receptacle, look at the each terminal on the back of the wall jack. If there is more then one wire on any terminal, then those wires on each terminal must be connected together, either with a wire connector, or by twisting the wires together, then insulating them by taping them. Remove the wires from one terminal at a time so that they don't become mixed. If there is only one wire on each terminal, just tape it with some black electrical tape so that the wires in the wall will be insulated from each other.
#91481 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:52 pm
If only 1 wire on screw terminals, then taking them off the terminal and then clipping off the metal leads alone would work as well.

If 2 wires, using IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot would be one option to connect the wires together off the screw terminals.