Un-wire part of the whole house?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Leeway

Un-wire part of the whole house?

Post by Leeway » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm painting my bedroom. I have a phone wall jack that I'd like to eliminate altogether in there. I wish it had never been put there.

I have my whole house jacks activated
I'm not using the phone jack in the bedroom
Never will

If I undo the wiring from the back of the plate and shove the wires into the wall and cover it with a blank plate, will it upset any of the other jacks being daisy-chained?

I have my Ooma base in the kitchen plugged into the phone jack and I don't want to loose that ability.

Thanks, Donna

highq

Re: Un-wire part of the whole house?

Post by highq » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Are the jacks truly daisy chained? How do you know it's so?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Leeway wrote:I'm painting my bedroom. I have a phone wall jack that I'd like to eliminate altogether in there. I wish it had never been put there.

I have my whole house jacks activated
I'm not using the phone jack in the bedroom
Never will

If I undo the wiring from the back of the plate and shove the wires into the wall and cover it with a blank plate, will it upset any of the other jacks being daisy-chained?

I have my Ooma base in the kitchen plugged into the phone jack and I don't want to loose that ability.

Thanks, Donna
When you remove the phone jack from the wall receptacle, look at the each terminal on the back of the wall jack. If there is more then one wire on any terminal, then those wires on each terminal must be connected together, either with a wire connector, or by twisting the wires together, then insulating them by taping them. Remove the wires from one terminal at a time so that they don't become mixed. If there is only one wire on each terminal, just tape it with some black electrical tape so that the wires in the wall will be insulated from each other.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:52 pm

If only 1 wire on screw terminals, then taking them off the terminal and then clipping off the metal leads alone would work as well.

If 2 wires, using IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot would be one option to connect the wires together off the screw terminals.

Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!