Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#91397 by bas207
Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:52 pm
We have our Ooma Telo up and running. Right now we have our old phone connected, but we want to access Ooma through several phones throughout the house.

To go with the Ooma system, the kid at Sears sold us a Uniden digital answering system (Digital DECT 6.0; D3280), which has two handsets. One handset has a largish base with its own answering system and display unit; the other handset has a small base and is considered an “accessory handset.”

The kid told us that we could plug in our old phone directly to the Telo and then put the Uniden handsets elsewhere in the house; Ooma would connect to them through the wireless connection. But the Uniden phones don’t seem to be connected to Ooma at all.

Our questions:
1) Can the Uniden phones connect wirelessly to the Telo, or does the main handset need to be physically connected to the Telo?
2) If the Sears kid gave us bad information, how do we get several phones in the house connected to Ooma?

Thanks for advice anyone can lend.
#91398 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:14 pm
The base needs to be connected to the Ooma's phone port. If you also want to connect your old phone, connect to the phone port of Ooma as well using a splitter.

#91400 by bas207
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:38 pm
Thanks! I'll send my old phone off to Goodwill and just hook up to the Uniden. But do I need to have the pricey base that has its own answering system (which is obviously redundant), or can I just use one of the simple (and less pricey) accessory phones as my "base"?

In other words, is only the "official" base capable of receiving signals from other Uniden phones that I'll be placing around my home?

Thanks again.
#91401 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:22 pm
It is hard to find cordless phones without answering machine built in. Not much price difference even if there is one. Just get one and not use the answering machine. I'd walk into Costco and get any of their DECT 6 cordless phones. Get one with more than 2 handsets. Per handset cost at <$20 is good. <$15 is great.