Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#91095 by charliep
Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:35 pm
Hello,
I recently installed the Ooma Telo 100-0201-300R refurbished. I hooked up between my Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem and Netgear N300 wireless router WNR 2000 v3 using AT&T DSL.
As I was connecting through the phone the reception was breaking up, (some words were mising) it wasn't working to good.
The worse part was the internet connection kept dropping when me and my wife were surfing the internet.
I did the speed test that was linked from this forum and received all good marks.
I tried doing a search but found nothing.

Thanks in Advanced,
Charlie
#91096 by WayneDsr
Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 pm
Remove the Telo from between the modem and wireless router. Plug your wireless router back into the modem as you did before you bought the Telo. Plug the telo into an unused port on the wireless router, as you would any computer. Restart the modem/router/telo in that order and the Telo should work much better for you.

To recap, you had: modem -->telo -->router
You should change it to: -->modem -->router -->Telo
Nothing should be plugged into your Telo's Home Network jack in the rear of the Telo.

This configuration works better for many than the suggested setup in the Ooma manual.

Wayne
#91100 by charliep
Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 pm
Thanks Wayne I will give that a try and get back to you.
#91102 by charliep
Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:30 pm
Looking good. Hasn't dropped the connection yet:)

If you don't mind I have another question; the telephone module on the wall has two ports, one is for phone
, the other DSL. When I hook up the phone to the Telo I hear that certain chime, then dial tone, all good. I go into the other room where the other cordless phone resides and I get the same chime and dial tone, all good. My bedroom phone is plugged in a single module phone jack and I get the regular dial tone.

I have a spiltter outside in the phone junction box.

Am I good to go for a ported phone number? I want to transfer my home phone number to the Telo and not have any problems. To me it seems like I do have a seperate DSL from Voice.

What are your thoughts.

Still good on the internet connection!! :)
#91112 by Leeway
Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:47 am
You need a DSL filter on the bedroom phone. It plugs into the jack and your phone plugs into it.

You can find them at Radio Shack, Walmart etc. etc. OR, you might have one tucked away from the original install.
#91115 by lbmofo
Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:50 am
Once you get to the point where you only have DSL and no landline phone, you can use 1 set of wires for DSL (so you can have DSL modem connected to DSL signal from telephone company so you have internet) and another set of wires to distribute your Ooma dialtone (phone port of Ooma connected to this 1 set of wires so you have Ooma dialtone throughout the house). Take a look at this thread for some info: viewtopic.php?t=11898#p83576
#91128 by charliep
Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:50 pm
Thank you. I went on ebay and bought a used wireless phone to match up with the two other wireless phones I have.

That link you gave me was very informative.

If I wanted to rewire from outside box to module next to Telo, what is the best wire to get, and will it work better then the wire that is in my home now? The home is 21 years old with what looks like regular phone wire.