Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#90995 by cjs033
Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:29 am
Excuse me if these questions sound crazy but I wanted to ask about switching from landline to Ooma issues while I wait for my number to be ported.

Purchased the Ooma telo with handset and wireless adapter and connection issues to the internet not a problem as I'm going through my Bell Sagecom router. Right now, I don't have my landline connected to the phone jack in the back of the Ooma and I am able to make calls on my temporary number (and receive as well)

When my ported number is successful (2 to 3 weeks time) do I then unplug my phone from my phone jack (landline) and plug it into the back of the Ooma? Is it really that easy? I have 3 other Panasonic DECT 6 phones that plug into a wall plug as opposed to a phone jack...do I need to sync them to the Ooma homebase? Also, does Ooma automatically recognise my ported number? What happens to my temporary number? I should say that I purchased the Premier services.

Thanks for any advice you can give
#90999 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 am
cjs033 wrote:Excuse me if these questions sound crazy but I wanted to ask about switching from landline to Ooma issues while I wait for my number to be ported.

Purchased the Ooma telo with handset and wireless adapter and connection issues to the internet not a problem as I'm going through my Bell Sagecom router. Right now, I don't have my landline connected to the phone jack in the back of the Ooma and I am able to make calls on my temporary number (and receive as well)

When my ported number is successful (2 to 3 weeks time) do I then unplug my phone from my phone jack (landline) and plug it into the back of the Ooma? Is it really that easy? I have 3 other Panasonic DECT 6 phones that plug into a wall plug as opposed to a phone jack...do I need to sync them to the Ooma homebase? Also, does Ooma automatically recognise my ported number? What happens to my temporary number? I should say that I purchased the Premier services.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Usually on the day or day before the port is to take place, you will receive an E-mail with the instructions for what to do on your side. The ported number just replaces your temporary number; nothing for you to do except make test calls to your ported number, with your cell phone to make sure it's working correctly.

After your port is complete:
Make sure that you have disconnected the old phone provider phone lines that come in from the street to the box at the side of your house. Check and double check. If not done correctly, damage to the Ooma device could occur. If you are unsure, take a photo of the wiring on the inside of the house phone box, and post it in this thread. Some one will advise you.

Connect a phone cord from the Ooma device Phone port, to a house wall phone receptacle (jack). If your Ooma device has a Wall phone port, don't use it. If you want to use a phone near the Ooma device, and feed the house wall receptacle (jack) at the same time, use a phone line splitter.

When your port is complete the temporary number for line 1 is returned to the Ooma number data base. If you want to keep the number for line 2, you have to contact Ooma Customer Support.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#91000 by cjs033
Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:52 am
After your port is complete:
Make sure that you have disconnected the old phone provider phone lines that come in from the street to the box at the side of your house. Check and double check. If not done correctly, damage to the Ooma device could occur. If you are unsure, take a photo of the wiring on the inside of the house phone box, and post it in this thread. Some one will advise you.

Thanks for the quick reply Thunderbird...

One question about your response though...my Sagecom router from Bell has a DSL connection underneath with a regular phone cable connected to it. If I disconnect my phone provider line at the box on the side of my house, won't that affect my DSL connection to the router?

Tks
#91005 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:42 am
cjs033 wrote:After your port is complete:

Thanks for the quick reply Thunderbird...

One question about your response though...my Sagecom router from Bell has a DSL connection underneath with a regular phone cable connected to it. If I disconnect my phone provider line at the box on the side of my house, won't that affect my DSL connection to the router?

Tks

You are right, you still need the DSL signal to provide Internet signal to the modem. In this case you have to isolate the DSL wiring coming in from the box at the outside of the house, to your modem, from the wiring that goes to each of your phones. In many DSL connected homes there is a splitter that direct a signal to the modem, and directs another signal to the homes phone wiring. All that has to be done is to disconnect the wiring at the splitter that goes to the home's phone wiring, leaving the wiring that goes to the Modem connected.