Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#90713 by TBRX
Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 pm
Hello,

I've been having an ongoing problem for awhile now.

I have an Ooma Telo setup with the following configuration on it's configuration page. It keeps telling me that it's disconnected from the Switch/Router despite the fact the activity lights on both ends are blinking. I've configured both ends of the Ooma and Router to make sure it should be working properly, however my ooma still sits here day after day with the bottom 4 button lights scrolling.

Ooma:
Static IP:10.0.0.29
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.254

Router/Switch
Static IP: 10.0.0.254
DHCP is enabled.

Even with DHCP enabled, and link lights blinking on BOTH ends, the Ooma fails to make any sort of connection. This is really irritating me and I hope it's just a simple problem I'm overlooking. I'm pretty sure this started happening after I changed off the 192.168.*.* subnet, but regardless, this shouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to getting my device back and running, thanks to whoever can help me!

Edit: did a little more research, packets are indeed being sent by the Router/Switch to the ooma, however packets are not being sent back.
#90715 by murphy
Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:32 pm
You didn't mention the DNS server address.
That should also be set to 10.0.0.254

The better way, IMHO, is to set up a static reservation in the router based on the MAC address of the Telo's Internet port and leave the Telo set to DHCP mode.
#90717 by TBRX
Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
murphy wrote:You didn't mention the DNS server address.
That should also be set to 10.0.0.254

The better way, IMHO, is to set up a static reservation in the router based on the MAC address of the Telo's Internet port and leave the Telo set to DHCP mode.

Set up DNS to use Google DNS. Tried that and still no go unfortunately.

Reset the router configuration to default as well as put the Ooma back on DHCP, nothing still. Packets are being sent back from the Ooma, however it still is not getting an IP Address.
#90721 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:21 pm
TBRX wrote:Hello,

I've been having an ongoing problem for awhile now.

I have an Ooma Telo setup with the following configuration on it's configuration page. It keeps telling me that it's disconnected from the Switch/Router despite the fact the activity lights on both ends are blinking. I've configured both ends of the Ooma and Router to make sure it should be working properly, however my ooma still sits here day after day with the bottom 4 button lights scrolling.

Ooma:
Static IP:10.0.0.29
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.254

Router/Switch
Static IP: 10.0.0.254
DHCP is enabled.

Even with DHCP enabled, and link lights blinking on BOTH ends, the Ooma fails to make any sort of connection. This is really irritating me and I hope it's just a simple problem I'm overlooking. I'm pretty sure this started happening after I changed off the 192.168.*.* subnet, but regardless, this shouldn't be an issue.

Looking forward to getting my device back and running, thanks to whoever can help me!

Edit: did a little more research, packets are indeed being sent by the Router/Switch to the ooma, however packets are not being sent back.

For a Modem-Router-Ooma setup.
Make sure that a network cable is connected from a Router LAN port to the Internet Port of the Ooma Telo.

Next:
Temporarily access Ooma Setup by connecting a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to a computer wired LAN port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Click on the Status tab.
View TO INTERNET port: Connected: [ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ]
If you see Connected, and an IP address, go down to Ooma Tunnel: and see if say connected to right.
If it doesn't show connected, you have to contact Ooma Customer Support and tell them. Ooma has to give your Ooma Profile a "kick Start" to get you system going.

If you don't see TO INTERNET port: Connected: [ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ] with the IP address assigned by your router, and your router is configured to set DHCP connections, or you have reserved an IP address with a permanent lease for the Ooma device in your Router for the Ooma Telo do the following:

Access Ooma Setup again and Click on Internet. Click on the down arrow to the right of Connection type: and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update device at the bottom of the page.
Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, Repower the Ooma Telo.

Contact Ooma Customer Support if your Ooma Profile needs a "Kick Start".

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#90728 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 pm
TBRX wrote:I've performed the steps as stated above, verbatim, three times. No success. Ooma's bottom row of lights keeps scrolling to the right.

Attached is a screenshot of the status page, after these actions have been performed:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623119/snips/ooma_1.png

In Ooma Setup, after clicking on Status only, do you see TO INTERNET port: and Conneced and an IP address to the right?
Then when you go down to Ooma Tunnel, do you see Connected to the right?

I see from the screenshot that an Internet port IP address isn't loading.

For testing, temporarily try connecting Modem-Ooma and see if the Ooma Telo boots up.
#90734 by TBRX
Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:23 pm
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury at the moment of connecting the Ooma directly to a modem, it's a crappy DSL Combo Router/Switch. However, I did call my ISP on another unrelated issue and having it swapped out for a regular modem, which should arrive sometime later this week.

I can -try- to bridge the connection though.. I'll give that a shot.

Here is another screenshot of the Status Page
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623119/snips/ooma_2.png
#90738 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:10 pm
TBRX wrote:Unfortunately I don't have the luxury at the moment of connecting the Ooma directly to a modem, it's a crappy DSL Combo Router/Switch. However, I did call my ISP on another unrelated issue and having it swapped out for a regular modem, which should arrive sometime later this week.

I can -try- to bridge the connection though.. I'll give that a shot.

Here is another screenshot of the Status Page
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/623119/snips/ooma_2.png

Disconnect the network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port. Remove power from the Ooma Telo. Repower the Ooma Telo.
With No network cable connected to the Ooma Telo Internet port or USB Wireless Wi-Fi dongle adapter connected to the Ooma Telo USB port, the Ooma Telo should boot to the red flashing Ooma symbol. If it only goes to the blue runway lights, then some thing is probably wrong with the Ooma Telo.

If the Ooma Telo boots to the Red Flashing Ooma symbol with the network cable disconnected from the Ooma Telo Internet port, usually (but not always) at that point you can connect a network cable from a known working router LAN port, to the Ooma Telo Internet port, and it will connect.
#90745 by TBRX
Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 am
Guess I'm screwed then unfortunately. There should be no reason why my unit has failed, I've taken good care of it kept it free of dust and humidity..bad firmware flash maybe possible? I looked at the release phases with release notes for each firmware update and it seemed to stop working around the time the latest firmware was pushed out, wouldn't be surprised if that did it in.
#90746 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:39 am
TBRX wrote:Guess I'm screwed then unfortunately. There should be no reason why my unit has failed, I've taken good care of it kept it free of dust and humidity..bad firmware flash maybe possible? I looked at the release phases with release notes for each firmware update and it seemed to stop working around the time the latest firmware was pushed out, wouldn't be surprised if that did it in.

Are you within the one year warranty period? If so you can give Ooma Customer Support a call and get a replacement. Ooma will send, shipping prepaid, a replacement Oomo Telo, along with a return prepaid shipping label. If your Ooma Telo is out of the one year warranty period, if you bought it from Costco, usually they will replace it anyway. If you bought it with a credit card, some credit cards will replace it during up to a two year period.

One other thing, usually if the Ooma Telo will boot part way, if you make some random Ooma Setup setting changes, sometimes it will wake up and boot all of the way. I would start with the Internet page, Connection Type:, with the network cable removed from the Ooma Telo Internet port, and try the various connection types, rebooting the Ooma Telo each time you make a change. Then switch between Automatic to Built In MAC address, and back, rebooting the Ooma Telo each time you make a change. Last try the Reset button at the bottom of the page and reboot the Ooma Telo. Then go to the Advanced page and remove any settings, and try again. The same for the Bluetooth page. For the Home Network page, since you need those settings to access Ooma Setup, I'd steer clear of making changes there, except to just click on Update at the bottom of the page. Recently when booting the Ooma Telo, my Ooma Telo stopped booting. In my case I removed the Bluetooth USB dongle from the back of Ooma Telo USB port. After that it booted to the Red Flashing Ooma Symbol and I haven't had a problem since.