Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#90656 by olemetry
Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:39 am
Hi all. I recently bought a new Ooma Telo, but I am about to have to return it or sell it as I can not get the QoS setup correctly.
BACKGROUD: I have Cox internet, with a cable modem and a Linksys wireless router (blue 54 whatever).

BASELINE: Without the Ooma connected, I get good speed using speedtest.net - about 25Mbps DOWN and 2.5Mbps UP. I do a lot of bandwidth using activities, so I still want most of this bandwidth - especially when not on the phone.

TESTING: I originally just plugged the Ooma into the router (modem-router-Ooma) and noticed that computer bandwidth was badly affected. I then did a lot of homework on this issue, and found most users benefit from the Ooma ahead of the router - so i connected it that way (modem-Ooma-router), again resulting in not enough bandwidth the PC. I then checked the box in Ooma settings to use "built-in MAC address" - because I also so other people on the web doing it. I then fiddled with the QoS settings. First, setting UP and DOWN to 0 results in about maybe 1 Mbps Down in Speedtest. I then put in QoS settings like 25000 DOWN and 2500 UP - resulting in 1-2 Mbps Down in Speedtest. I then went crazy and put like 99999 in QoS Down and get maybe 4 - 5 Mbps Down in speedtest.

Can someone help me set this up properly? I am hoping to get most of my 25Mbps to the PC especially when not in a call. Is this possible? I cant afford an unsed Ooma sitting there using up 20+ Mbps of my 25Mbps bandwidth.
Thanks yall. I am open to all ideas.
#90660 by olemetry
Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:13 am
Assuming you have the Ooma ahead of the router, you set the Qos for both UP and DOWN to ZERO (0) ??? What sort of hit does Speedtest indicate? Do you get still get 15Mbps DOWN with Ooma connected?
#90663 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 am
olemetry:
For a Modem-Ooma-Router connection:
Since you have massage bandwidth, try the following. In Ooma Setup after the factory reset, I would only change Automatic MAC address to Use Built In MAC address, and leave Quality of Service at the Ooma Telo default settings, which you will see after the Factory Reset:

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. If you are using a wired LAN Internet connection, you may want to reset MAC address from Automatic, to Use Built In. Also you may want to reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

After the Factory Reset and MAC address adjustment to Use Built In, do the following:

Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.
#90672 by olemetry
Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 am
Well, I did what you said. And it works. Thank you so much. I think it had down set to 384 and up to 0. With my new config, i was getting about 20+Mbps Down with everything up and running. Thanks man.