Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#90396 by ntf34
Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:45 am
I have had the Ooma for several months and was never able to connect I think it was because my previous internet connection had a VoIP running through it and there was just not enough bandwidth. I just changed to adsl I have a d-link integrated wireless modem/ router. how do I need to configure everything I still can not seem to set it up and I have 10mb now so I am sure I have enough bandwidth. Thank you
#90399 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:24 am
ntf34 wrote:I have had the Ooma for several months and was never able to connect I think it was because my previous internet connection had a VoIP running through it and there was just not enough bandwidth. I just changed to adsl I have a d-link integrated wireless modem/ router. how do I need to configure everything I still can not seem to set it up and I have 10mb now so I am sure I have enough bandwidth. Thank you

With the connection Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from the wired LAN port of a computer to the Ooma Telo Home port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Remove power from the Ooma Telo and computer. Repower the Ooma Telo and allow it to boot as far as it will boot, (You probably will see the Red flashing Ooma Symbol). Repower the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Click on the Internet tab. At Connection type: click on the down arrow and change from Automatic to Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update device at the bottom of the page. Remove power from the Modem, the Router and the Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

If you still don't get an Internet connection, access Ooma Setup again. Click on the Status tab. At the top of the page view TO INTERNET port: Go to the right and see if it says Connected: [ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ] Followed by an IP address. If you see Connected and an IP address, go down to OOMA Tunnel: and see if it says connected. If not you have to contact Ooma Customer Support to give your Ooma profile a "kick start".

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

If you still don't connect, check your Internet speeds. Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload speeds.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.