Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#90363 by brianburchill
Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 pm
I am trying a new install on the Ooma telo connecting with ethernet cable to my WRT54G2 Linksys router. The red logo keeps flashing and 1 and 2 numbers are blue (now only the 2 is blue). Customer support says its either because of a firewall on my Arris cable modem (which I rent from the cable company as I have phone and internet service thru them) or UDP ports 53,123,514,1194,3386,3480,10000-20000 and TCP 53, 443 need to be opened. My Internet provider says its not their modem. So should I try to change my settings on my wireless router? I'm not sure how that's done.
#90366 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:30 pm
brianburchill wrote:I am trying a new install on the Ooma telo connecting with ethernet cable to my WRT54G2 Linksys router. The red logo keeps flashing and 1 and 2 numbers are blue (now only the 2 is blue). Customer support says its either because of a firewall on my Arris cable modem (which I rent from the cable company as I have phone and internet service thru them) or UDP ports 53,123,514,1194,3386,3480,10000-20000 and TCP 53, 443 need to be opened. My Internet provider says its not their modem. So should I try to change my settings on my wireless router? I'm not sure how that's done.

First connect a computer's wired LAN port to one of the LAN ports of the Router. Tempoarily turn of Wi-Fi in the computer, If Wi-Fi is turned on in the Computer. Remove power from the Router and computer. Repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the computer.

Make sure you can surf the web by accessing http://www.google.com . If you can access the Google web site, next disconnect the computer connected network cable from the the router.

Connect using a network cable, from the LAN port on the Router that the computer cable was connected to, to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo. Remove power from the Modem, the Router and the Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.
#90379 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:42 pm
brianburchill wrote:I tried those steps and still get a flashing red logo, 1 and 2 (but now just 2), and the >>I symbol in blue.

Were you able to surf the web by accessing Google?

With the connection Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from the wired LAN port of a computer to the Ooma Telo Home port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Remove power from the Ooma Telo and computer. Repower the Ooma Telo and allow it to boot as far as it will boot, (You should see the Red flashing Ooma Symbol). Repower the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Click on the Internet tab. At Connection type: click on the down arrow and change from Automatic to Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update device at the bottom of the page. Remove power from the Modem, the Router and the Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

Remember that the first time you start the Ooma Telo, that it's takes up to an hour to download the latest firmware, etc.

If you still don't get an Internet connection, access Ooma Setup again. Click on the Status tab. At the top of the page view TO INTERNET port: Go to the right and see if it says Connected: [ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ] Followed by an IP address. If you see Connected and an IP address, go down to OOMA Tunnel: and see if it says connected. If not you have to contact Ooma Customer Support to give your Ooma profile a "kick start".

If at the right of TO INTERNET port: you don't see connected and an IP address, and you were able to surf the web to Google, using a computer connected to the same router port as the Ooma device is connected to now, probably something is wrong with the Ooma Telo.
#90394 by brianburchill
Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57 pm
I was able to surf Google doing the troubleshooting noted in your first post. So then with Modem-Router-Ooma connection I changed the connection type from automatic to dynamic (DHCP), updated device and rebooted and waited but still get flashing red logo, number "2" and the ">>I" symbol lit blue. I checked the device status and "TO INTERNET port" shows connected and lists an IP address and "OOMA Tunnel" shows connected also.
#90398 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:14 am
brianburchill wrote:I was able to surf Google doing the troubleshooting noted in your first post. So then with Modem-Router-Ooma connection I changed the connection type from automatic to dynamic (DHCP), updated device and rebooted and waited but still get flashing red logo, number "2" and the ">>I" symbol lit blue. I checked the device status and "TO INTERNET port" shows connected and lists an IP address and "OOMA Tunnel" shows connected also.

From the sounds of this last post you are very close. Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload speeds.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.

Are you able to hear any dial tone at all with a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port and the Ooma Telo booted as far as it will go?

If you have enough Internet speeds, it may be that your Ooma device is defective?

Please provide the model number of the Arris cable modem?
#90426 by brianburchill
Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:45 pm
Download Speed: 16069 kbps
Upload Speed: 6607 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 24 %
Upload Consistency of Service: 37 %
Maximum TCP Delay: 52ms
Jitter you server: 1.4 ms
Jitter server you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

The Arris modem is model TM602G/CT.
I don't receive a dial tone on the phone connected to the Telo just a busy signal.
#90427 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:21 pm
brianburchill wrote:Download and upload Speeds are good.

Download Consistency of Service: 24 %
Upload Consistency of Service: 37 %
Download Consistency of Service are both low, usually around 80 % each.
Estimated MOS score: 4.2
MOS score is very good.

There appears not be a firewall in the Arris model TM602G/CT Modem.

Try connecting Modem-Ooma-Router. Remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo, and Router.

Using a network cable connect from the Modem port (port usually yellow in color), to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo. Using another network cable connect from the Ooma Telo Home port, to the WAN port (Usually yellow in color) of the Router.

There are batteries in the Arris model TM602G/CT Modem. Access the batteries and temporarily remove them, reference link: http://www.arrisi.com/support/guides/_d ... GH_QIG.pdf or http://www.arrisi.com/support/guides/_d ... Std1-7.pdf . Page 68 has a reset procedure that could be useful for this case, but removing the battery should do the same thing.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting (there may be some lights blinking on the Modem, ignore them for now), repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Router.

If the Ooma Telo powers up to the blue Ooma Symbol, reinstall the batteries back in the Modem.


Run Phonepower Speedtest again using a computer connected to one of the Router LAN ports, and post the results in this thread.

brianburchill wrote:I tried those steps and still get a flashing red logo, 1 and 2 (but now just 2), and the >>I symbol in blue.

If you still have the same symptoms as above, then more than likely the Ooma Telo is defective. I would take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for another Ooma Telo. You will have to call Ooma Customer Support to have them change the new Ooma Telo information to replace the old information for your Ooma profile.
#90451 by brianburchill
Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:41 pm
I connected Modem-Ooma-Router and still get the flashing red logo, and number "2" and ">>I" lit blue. The phone has no dial tone only a busy signal. The results of the speed test are now:

Download Speed: 15474 kbps
Upload Speed: 6613 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 24 %
Upload Consistency of Service: 36 %
Maximum TCP Delay: 54 ms
Jitter you server: 0.7 ms
Jitter server you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

So your thoughts are that the unit is defective and should be returned to the place of purchase?
#90452 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:46 pm
brianburchill wrote:I connected Modem-Ooma-Router and still get the flashing red logo, and number "2" and ">>I" lit blue. The phone has no dial tone only a busy signal. The results of the speed test are now:

Download Speed: 15474 kbps
Upload Speed: 6613 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 24 %
Upload Consistency of Service: 36 %
Maximum TCP Delay: 54 ms
Jitter you server: 0.7 ms
Jitter server you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

So your thoughts are that the unit is defective and should be returned to the place of purchase?

If it were me, I'd return the Ooma Telo that you have now, and obtain a replacement Ooma Telo.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests