Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

UPS

#90334 by bukzin
Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:42 am
Seems smart to add power line protection/ back-up power supply for Telo.

Did a search for 'UPS' on this forum and found nothing, maybe not enough letters.

What are some units folks are using and liking? What is Ooma tech support suggesting?

Is my warranty effected?
#90352 by murphy
Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 am
I am partial to the APC Smart-UPS models since they put out sine wave power when running on battery.
They aren't inexpensive.
#90361 by WJBertrand
Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:27 pm
I've got my Telo, Router and modem all connected through an APC power supply. According to the utility software that comes with it, I'm good for over 2 hours (at least on standby) in case of an outage. Besides that I bought a Square Trade 3-year warranty for the Telo for about $35 if I remember correctly.
#90548 by bukzin
Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:45 pm
Are most of you using a back-up power supply and/or a surge protector with your Ooma?
#90550 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:50 am
bukzin wrote:Are most of you using a back-up power supply and/or a surge protector with your Ooma?

I use surge protection and cell phone backup.

When searching the Ooma forum, use two or more words like, UPS power.
#90559 by bukzin
Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:55 am
thunderbird wrote:
bukzin wrote:Are most of you using a back-up power supply and/or a surge protector with your Ooma?

Which surge protector(s) do you like? Which models or what specs should I consider?

I read some folks have had problems using them at all and suggested you are better off with none.

Thanks again!
#90561 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:06 am
bukzin wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

Which surge protector(s) do you like? Which models or what specs should I consider?

I read some folks have had problems using them at all and suggested you are better off with none.

Thanks again!

A surge suppressor of some type is almost a must with Ooma devices, especially in areas where there are lightening storms and power surges.

I use the Belkin surge suppressors as shown at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=17&y=16
#91126 by lbmofo
Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:07 pm
Having some wind storm going through western washington. Some folks are without power; we still have ours but I hear the UPS kick in out like crazy although power kept on all this time. I am thinking if my Ooma wasn't plugged into the UPS, that can't be too good for the life of the device.