Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#89794 by jaysullivan
Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:59 pm
Hi,

I have my Ooma hub hooked into my home phone wiring and all of the jacks in my house are giving me an Ooma dial tone except for one. I know that jack worked fine when I had a land line, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it possible that the wires in the jack are crossed up? Would that make sense that it worked when I had a land line but not work now that I have the Ooma running through the house? (I have disconnected the home wiring from the incoming line from the phone company).

Thanks
#89795 by thunderbird
Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:17 pm
jaysullivan wrote:Hi,

I have my Ooma hub hooked into my home phone wiring and all of the jacks in my house are giving me an Ooma dial tone except for one. I know that jack worked fine when I had a land line, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it possible that the wires in the jack are crossed up? Would that make sense that it worked when I had a land line but not work now that I have the Ooma running through the house? (I have disconnected the home wiring from the incoming line from the phone company).
Thanks

There has to be a wire(s) that is off of a terminal or out of splice or is broken. The first place that I would look is where you disconnected the home wiring from the incoming line for the old phone company. Some times at that point, several sets of phone jack wires will meet, and one of the wires may have become broken or come off a terminalm etc. when you were disconnecting the incoming old phone company wires.

Otherwise you may have to trace the wires back from the inoperative phone jack to where it meet or junctions with known working house phone wiring, find the short and repair it.
#89798 by jaysullivan
Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:07 pm
All the wiring at the main junction box looks good, and I haven't monkeyed with it since that jack worked with my land line. Is there any chance that cross-wiring would cause this problem? If it was cross-wired, would a land-line give me a dial tone but Ooma wouldn't, or would both fail in that situation?
#89801 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:15 am
jaysullivan wrote:All the wiring at the main junction box looks good, and I haven't monkeyed with it since that jack worked with my land line. Is there any chance that cross-wiring would cause this problem? If it was cross-wired, would a land-line give me a dial tone but Ooma wouldn't, or would both fail in that situation?

Was there at one time a privte line or line 2 in your home. If so you may have to find the line 2 wiring and join or rewire it to the line 1 wiring.

Examples:
http://www.homephonewiring.com/nid.html
http://www.wire-your-phones.com/
#89803 by Hollywood
Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:16 pm
If you had DSL, one of the jacks may have been rewired to go to the modem so that the rest of the jacks didn't have to use a DSL filter. If so, most of the jacks are probably wired similar so take off the plate and look at the colors of the wires and compare them, if different on that one, make it like the rest.