Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#89645 by codad
Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:46 pm
It looks like my problem has been posted before, but I don't seem to understand the router settings. I have an ASUS RT-N56U, but when I hook up my Ooma behind it, it just flashes red. (it works fine plugged directly into the cable modem). Could someone explain in plain English what the problem is and what settings in the router need to be changed. Thanks:)
#89647 by tommies
Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:31 pm
Did you reboot the devices(modem,router, and ooma) after doing so? Generally, when changing the (relative) connection between network devices, it best to reboot all that is involved.

PS.
most of these device does not have on/off switch, so reboot mean unplugging the power for at least 10-15 seconds, and reconnect the power.
#89648 by codad
Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:38 pm
tommies wrote:Did you reboot the devices(modem,router, and ooma) after doing so? Generally, when changing the (relative) connection between network devices, it best to reboot all that is involved.

PS.
most of these device does not have on/off switch, so reboot mean unplugging the power for at least 10-15 seconds, and reconnect the power.

Thanks, I've definitely tried that. According to Ooma support, it's a router setting that needs to be changed, but they can't tell me how to change my ASUS router.
#89649 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 pm
codad wrote:Thanks, I've definitely tried that. According to Ooma support, it's a router setting that needs to be changed, but they can't tell me how to change my ASUS router.

First with a Modem-Ooma connection, with the Ooma powered, try a factory reset of the Ooma Telo:

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

After the factory reset of the Ooma Telo, remove power from the Modem, Router aand Ooma Telo.
Using network cable(s), connect the modem port to the Router WAN port (usually yellow in color). Connect one of the Router LAN ports (usually orange in color), to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo.
Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

If that doen't work, do this:
For connecting the Ooma Telo behind the router try the following:

Connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port to one of your router LAN Ports.

Temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer.

Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in your computer if turned on. Reboot the computer.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages Open.

Click on Internet. At Connection Type: click the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device.
Remove power from the Modem, Router aand Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

The Ooma Telo Internet connection Dynamic (DHCP) setting should force a connection from the router to the Ooma Telo.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#89653 by tommies
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:29 pm
codad wrote:Thanks, I've definitely tried that. According to Ooma support, it's a router setting that needs to be changed, but they can't tell me how to change my ASUS router.

I have my telo behind my router, and it works without changing any setting in the router. Setting QoS in the router to give telo higher priority is optional. If you have few MB up/down connection, QoS in the router might not need.

Since the telo is behind the router, you should disable the telo's QoS by setting both number to 0(zero.) In the past, some firmware version is known to cause trouble for the internet bandwidth, and the telo's QoS is believed to take the blame.
#89692 by codad
Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:35 pm
Thanks for all the info. I tried all of the above suggestions (including factory reset, and changing Ooma Qos settings to 0)and unfortunately Ooma still won't connect to internet behind the router. I even changed the router setting so Ooma's IP address was in the router's DMZ, and STILL NO CONNECTION--ARGH! I have contacted technical support at ASUS and they are going to try the same setup with Ooma and get back to me. I have definitely learned a lot, but have not seen the fruits of my labors yet. Any other thoughts???
#89700 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 am
codad wrote:Thanks for all the info. I tried all of the above suggestions (including factory reset, and changing Ooma Qos settings to 0)and unfortunately Ooma still won't connect to internet behind the router. I even changed the router setting so Ooma's IP address was in the router's DMZ, and STILL NO CONNECTION--ARGH! I have contacted technical support at ASUS and they are going to try the same setup with Ooma and get back to me. I have definitely learned a lot, but have not seen the fruits of my labors yet. Any other thoughts???

Did you go into Ooma Setup and change the Internet setting from Automatic to Dynamic (DHCP) to force an Internet connection to the Asus Router?
#89704 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:44 am
codad wrote:Thanks for all the info. I tried all of the above suggestions (including factory reset, and changing Ooma Qos settings to 0)and unfortunately Ooma still won't connect to internet behind the router. I even changed the router setting so Ooma's IP address was in the router's DMZ, and STILL NO CONNECTION--ARGH! I have contacted technical support at ASUS and they are going to try the same setup with Ooma and get back to me. I have definitely learned a lot, but have not seen the fruits of my labors yet. Any other thoughts???

Are you able to connect a computer to an Asus Router LAN port and does it work? If so, disconnect the computer and any other devices connected connected to the Asus Router LAN ports. Then connect the Ooma Telo Internet port to the same Asus Router LAN port that the computer was connected to. Reboot the Router and then the Ooma Telo. If this works, that means you DHCP function in the Router is turned off, and needs to be turned on.